Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

demerch1
Frequent Visitor

SQL EndPoint - Successfuly connected but error during pre-login handshake (Error 10054)

Dear all,

I created a warehouse , getting data through VNET from a SQL server located in a VM.. so far all was fine. Then I copied the SQL End point and tried to connect from SSMS where I received the following message:

"""
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

"""

how can I solve this ? any thoughts? 

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @demerch1 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
This error usually indicates an issue with the pre-login handshake, which establishes secure communication between the client (SSMS) and the server (Azure SQL Database) before authentication.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Verify TLS Compatibility:

• Ensure both SSMS and Azure SQL Database support TLS 1.2 or higher. Disable lower versions on the client if necessary.
    • Check if your client application or driver has specific TLS requirements.
  2. Check Network Configuration:

• Validate that necessary TCP ports (1433 for standard communication, 5443 for encrypted) are open in all firewalls and security groups along the connection path.
    • Confirm VNET peering is correctly configured to allow communication between your SSMS subnet and the Azure SQL Database subnet.
    • Verify network ACLs don't restrict inbound connections to the database server.
  3. Confirm Authentication Credentials:

• Double-check that you're using the correct username, password, and server name in SSMS.
    • If using AAD authentication, ensure your Azure account has the necessary permissions and the SPN is correctly registered.
  4. Address Azure SQL Database Configuration:

• Remote connections should be enabled on the database server.
    • The user you're connecting with should have appropriate permissions to access the database.
    • Check if antivirus software or other security tools might be interfering with connections.
  5. Disable firewall/VPN:  Disable firewalls or security groups for testing purposes to isolate the issue.

For more information please refer to this document here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/database-engine/connect/tls-exist-connection-clos...

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
demerch1
Frequent Visitor

Hi again,, sorry for my late response,, I had to try several things to get to the conclusion. It was a client side issue (meaning my part) as I have to connect through Zscaler. When I disabled it , the connection worked.. so now we know.. Thank you for the support !!!

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @demerch1 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
This error usually indicates an issue with the pre-login handshake, which establishes secure communication between the client (SSMS) and the server (Azure SQL Database) before authentication.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Verify TLS Compatibility:

• Ensure both SSMS and Azure SQL Database support TLS 1.2 or higher. Disable lower versions on the client if necessary.
    • Check if your client application or driver has specific TLS requirements.
  2. Check Network Configuration:

• Validate that necessary TCP ports (1433 for standard communication, 5443 for encrypted) are open in all firewalls and security groups along the connection path.
    • Confirm VNET peering is correctly configured to allow communication between your SSMS subnet and the Azure SQL Database subnet.
    • Verify network ACLs don't restrict inbound connections to the database server.
  3. Confirm Authentication Credentials:

• Double-check that you're using the correct username, password, and server name in SSMS.
    • If using AAD authentication, ensure your Azure account has the necessary permissions and the SPN is correctly registered.
  4. Address Azure SQL Database Configuration:

• Remote connections should be enabled on the database server.
    • The user you're connecting with should have appropriate permissions to access the database.
    • Check if antivirus software or other security tools might be interfering with connections.
  5. Disable firewall/VPN:  Disable firewalls or security groups for testing purposes to isolate the issue.

For more information please refer to this document here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/database-engine/connect/tls-exist-connection-clos...

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi @demerch1 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.