Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Linked Service in ADF to One Lake

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a work around to let existing resources in ADF or Azure Synapse write to One Lake.

I was hoping I could configure a service principal and then setup a linked service in ADF. However it enforces a name convention of the URL:

bcdobbs_0-1685345429306.png

For reference I took the URL from: OneLake access and APIs - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn 

Thanks

Ben
Ben

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
6 REPLIES 6
GeethaT-MSFT
Community Support
Community Support

@bcdobbs It depends on what you want to do with the data, if your source data is already structured/curated then you don't generally need to copy it again in the lakehouse/warehouse, shortcuts will work.

GeethaT-MSFT
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bcdobbs  Any reasons to not use Fabric Pipelines to load into OneLake?

@GeethaT-MSFT   Will the connectors for the Fabric copy data activity be expanded to match what is available in Azure Data Factory?  For instance, I have on premises Oracle data that I would like to land in OneLake.

Thank you.  

@kdoherty Yes, on-prem connectivity is tracked for GA, Until then a workaround is to use on-prem gateways in pbi to stage the data in a cloud location and then use copy activity.

That's good news.  Thank you for replying.  

I fully intend to once it supports what I need! Currently Fabric copy data activity in pipeline only has very basic API support; I need to be able to pass a bearer key in the auth header (which I've ideally retrieved from key vault or new fabric equivalent), or for internal Microsoft stuff use a managed identity/service principal.

I was just thinking until that was available (I understand it's coming) I could use ADF in azure to land the data while I experiment with fabric.

That said having now played with it more I think the way to go is simply create a shortcut to my exisiting ADLS storage and get the data in that way.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.