Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LeenaB
Frequent Visitor

Fabric trial and billing for shortcuts with a target in another region

Hello, 

I have enabled the fabric capacity. I want to build a data pipline in Fabric. I have created a short cut to the data in ADLS Gen2. However this is in a different region than the region of my trial. Now I plan to load to data in a notebook and transform before writing it to the delta format (in the onelake). I understand since I am in trial period, my spark pool consumption/ onelake or any fabric items should not incur any cost. However will the data transfer across regions - when data is loaded from the target to be transformed in fabric - incur any costs?

It will be great if someone can throw light on my particular problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @LeenaB ,

FYI: Azure charges any time you move data from one region to another - Pricing - Bandwidth | Microsoft Azure

I would like to check if your query was answered.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thank you

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LeenaB
Frequent Visitor

I have another question around Fabric trial and billing. I have installed the Fabrics capacity metrics app. Since I am under trial, I was expecting the billing type to indicate that under compute. However the type indicates it is billble. Confused here, as most of these items are Fabric items - lakehouse, notebook etc. 

Is it right to assume tht type may display as Billable in the Metrics app, but due to trial no cost will be added to my bill.

Hi @LeenaB ,

If you are using Trial Version of Fabric, then you won't be charge any amount.

vgchennamsft_0-1708419655824.png

You can refer this document - Fabric trial - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LeenaB ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Hi @LeenaB ,

We an update from internal team -

" There will be no Fabric billing but Azure bills for data egress when reading ADLS Gen2 across regions. "

In order to understand Fabric Pricing, you can refer below:
Microsoft Fabric - Pricing | Microsoft Azure
Announcing Microsoft Fabric capacities are available for purchase | Microsoft Fabric Blog | Microsof...

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

The entire concept of OneLake is to avoid data duplication. Shortcuts do a fantastic job by allowing us to access any data anywhere. Fabric capacity in itself is significantly priced. So to control costs, I would ideally need my ADLS Gen2 in the same region as the Fabric capacity, or then copy over the data into another ADLS Gen2 in the same region.

Hi @LeenaB ,

FYI: Azure charges any time you move data from one region to another - Pricing - Bandwidth | Microsoft Azure

I would like to check if your query was answered.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors