Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vidhyan
Helper I
Helper I

Error on creating New Semantic Model

I am using Fabric, created a lakehouse, ingested data into a few tables. I am trying to create a new semantic model using the "New Sematnic Model" button in Lakehouse view.
I receive an error "Unexpected error dispatching create semantic model to portal action handler".
Screenshot below. What can I do to fix this issue? Is this a bug? 

vidhyan_0-1713359464397.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vidhyan 

Sensitivity labels from Microsoft Purview Information Protection let you classify and protect your organization's data, while making sure that user productivity and their ability to collaborate isn't hindered. 

Access Control: Sensitivity labels ensure that only authorized users can access specific data. When creating a semantic model, you want to ensure that the underlying data adheres to the same access controls.

Data Classification: By labeling data with sensitivity levels (e.g., Public, Confidential, Highly Confidential), you establish a consistent classification framework. Semantic models inherit these labels, allowing report creators to work with appropriately classified data.

Compliance and Security: Organizations often have strict compliance requirements. Sensitivity labels help enforce data protection policies. When creating semantic models, you want to ensure that the data aligns with these policies.

Role-Level Security (RLS): Semantic models can enforce RLS, restricting data access based on user roles. Sensitivity labels play a role here too. If certain data is highly confidential, RLS ensures that only authorized users can see it.

For more details please refer : About sensitivity labels.

The error you are encountering is a known issue and our team is actively working on a resolution. While we don't currently have an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for the fix, but for sure we will get back to you once we have an update from them, meanwhile you can utilize the SQL endpoint as an alternative method for creating a new semantic model. For your reference, a screenshot has been included.

vcboorlamsft_0-1713457101402.png

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vidhyan
Helper I
Helper I

@v-cboorla-msft Can you please explain why this setting should be enabled. I saw the same solution discussed in google in other forums, but not able to understand why this setting has anything to do with creating a semantic model.

Hi @vidhyan 

Sensitivity labels from Microsoft Purview Information Protection let you classify and protect your organization's data, while making sure that user productivity and their ability to collaborate isn't hindered. 

Access Control: Sensitivity labels ensure that only authorized users can access specific data. When creating a semantic model, you want to ensure that the underlying data adheres to the same access controls.

Data Classification: By labeling data with sensitivity levels (e.g., Public, Confidential, Highly Confidential), you establish a consistent classification framework. Semantic models inherit these labels, allowing report creators to work with appropriately classified data.

Compliance and Security: Organizations often have strict compliance requirements. Sensitivity labels help enforce data protection policies. When creating semantic models, you want to ensure that the data aligns with these policies.

Role-Level Security (RLS): Semantic models can enforce RLS, restricting data access based on user roles. Sensitivity labels play a role here too. If certain data is highly confidential, RLS ensures that only authorized users can see it.

For more details please refer : About sensitivity labels.

The error you are encountering is a known issue and our team is actively working on a resolution. While we don't currently have an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for the fix, but for sure we will get back to you once we have an update from them, meanwhile you can utilize the SQL endpoint as an alternative method for creating a new semantic model. For your reference, a screenshot has been included.

vcboorlamsft_0-1713457101402.png

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further queries.

Thank you.

Thanks @v-cboorla-msft . 

Hi @vidhyan 

Glad that you query got resolved.
Please continue using Fabric Community for further queries.

Thank you.

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vidhyan 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please make sure if the below tenant level settings is enabled. 

vcboorlamsft_0-1713426239841.png

Sensitivity labels must be enabled in your tenant before they can be used in both in the Fabric service and in Power BI Desktop. 

vcboorlamsft_1-1713426315846.png

For more details please refer : Enable sensitivity labels.

If the issue still persists, please do let us know. Glad to help.

I hope this information helps. 

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors