Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dhorrall
Helper I
Helper I

Dataflow (Gen2): Specifying target table schema if is a new table

I tried to create a new table in a target Warehouse.

When I tried to create a new table with tst.theTable, 

dhorrall_1-1685046922309.png

I ended up with:

dhorrall_2-1685047007059.png

It seems to use the schema from the 'source' table I was extracting from (which was 'coupa')

I see no place to specifiy the target schema explicitly other than what I tried with 'dot' notation in the table name field.

Putting aside the fact that I am writing to a Fabric Warehouse, even though I chose Azure SQL Server as the target.  This seems like a bug.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is still on our feature list, but we do not have a current timeline yet. Any improvements to outputdestinations and their timelines can be tracked here: What's new and planned for Data Factory in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
danjo914

A crude workaround involves initially creating the table within the desired schema, then selecting it as an existing table in your dataflow. Afterwards, you can utilize the dataflow to generate the table under the dbo schema, perform a drop and create action to move it to the new schema, and redirect the dataflow. Note that default data types like bigints and varchar (8000) will be applied initially, but they can be corrected using the drop & create query.

Okay great, this will definately help. Many thanks for the idea!
Pfisterbi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Run into the same issue.

We need a possibility to choose a schema.

Yeah, I think so, too...
SidJay
Employee
Employee

There isn't currently a way to customize the schema. We are tracking this as a feature gap.

What is the status of this, is there a chance to track this?

This is still on our feature list, but we do not have a current timeline yet. Any improvements to outputdestinations and their timelines can be tracked here: What's new and planned for Data Factory in Microsoft Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Thank you for the feedback! I went ahead and forwarded this information to the appropriate internal team so they can take a look at this thread.

Hi Miguel @miguel 

Any news on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.