Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dhorrall
Frequent Visitor

Can I use legacy 'DataFactory' to write/update Fabric Synapse data?

We use legacy DataFactory.  Can I use this environment to 'write' to  Synapse Warehouse in Fabric, or do I have to use the 'DataFactory' components within Fabric?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HimanshuS-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @dhorrall 
Considering the azure-datafactory we will have to create a linked service and to create a linked service we will need authentication type . As rightly called out by @bcdobbs we do have the endpoint exposed but I am not sure if we can set the authentication type . So to me it looks like this is not possible.
But to be sure I am reaching out to the internal type to have more clarification on this . 
Thanks
Himanshu 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HimanshuS-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @dhorrall 
Considering the azure-datafactory we will have to create a linked service and to create a linked service we will need authentication type . As rightly called out by @bcdobbs we do have the endpoint exposed but I am not sure if we can set the authentication type . So to me it looks like this is not possible.
But to be sure I am reaching out to the internal type to have more clarification on this . 
Thanks
Himanshu 

I've done some testing and agreed I can't make it authenticate.

I was hopeful I could give a service princpal workspace access and then use that to authenticate but it doesn't like that either! If I pursuade it I will update.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

I think you should be able to but haven't tried yet. The warehouse artefact exposes a sql endpoint which can be used outside of Fabric. I suspect you just set that up as a linked service in ADF.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors