Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

RBunting
Advocate II
Advocate II

privacy concerns over azure maps query data

I posted the other day in 'Custom Visuals' but didn't get any replies.  Trying here and I hope that's OK. 

We'd like to understand the Azure maps visual and just what gets shared with TomTom.

Is it only location data that goes to TomTom?  Or will TomTom also be able to read other query fields if they are used in the filter, legend, or measures?

For instance, let's say I create a map showing plant locations and I have a 'status' flag that has field data like 'Operating', 'Stopped', 'ToBeDecomissioned', and 'New Prospect.' If I filter on 'New Prospect' -- can someone at TomTom peek into this query and see the locations and that they are 'New Prospect'? 

Can anyone help with this question?

2 REPLIES 2
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RBunting ,

TomTom will also be able to read other query fields if they are used in the filter, legend, or measures via the tooltips when you hover the location.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-chnwuz-msf.

The discussion in the 'Custom Visuals' thread (here) has come back with conflicting evidence.  User lbendlin gave this link to documentation and the following sumary

• Details about the area the map is focused on are sent to Azure to retrieve images needed to render the map canvas (also known as map tiles).
  • Data in the Location, Latitude, and Longitude buckets may be sent to Azure to retrieve map coordinates (a process called geocoding).
  • Telemetry data may be collected on the health of the visual (for example, crash reports), if the telemetry option in Power BI is enabled.

Other than the scenarios described above, no other data overlaid on the map is sent to the Azure Maps servers. All rendering of data happens locally within the client.

This seems to be contradictory to your claim that TomTom will be able to read the other query fields.  Can you help me understand what your source is that lets you draw the conclusion:

TomTom will also be able to read other query fields if they are used in the filter, legend, or measures via the tooltips when you hover the location.

Thanks so much; your help is deeply appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.