Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

examples in PowerShell / C# handle the dataset (search a record in data set, then update or delete)

In streaming data set, I had the add record examples only

Invoke-RestMethod -Method Post -Uri "$endpoint" -Body (ConvertTo-Json @($payload))

I want to get the example in clear the dataset (not delete)

search a record in the dataset, then either update or delete.

do anyone know where to find the examples ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

The use case for streaming datasets is for the display of transient data and should be regarded as volatile, even if you're using a push dataset with history enabled. They are not as fully featured as regular datasets and don't support filtering. As such there's only API methods to push data or clear the dataset. They're not a good substitute for a transactional database.

Power BI is not for the storage of data but for its aggregation and analysis, so if you want to set up something like what you're asking, this is beyond the features on offer for push/streaming datasets and you would be better looking to either:

• (if you have Premium) Create a dataset that live-connects to your report, and then use the XMLA endpoint methods to read or write data. However, this is still an analytical model and probably still a sub-optimal choice for persisting transactional data.
  • Implement your own middleware with a transactional database for persistence and manage read/write methods using suitable technologies.
    • Again, you'd want a data source that could support live-connect if you want something low latency
    • Then build a Power BI dataset that reads from this for your report.
    • If looking for a low-code solution, for example, you could manage this with CDS and Power Automate (if you're not familiar with the roles each part of Power Platform plays then this article does a good job of explaining that also).
    • As CDS is a premium connector for Power Automate, this simplicity would come at a cost, however, if you're not already paying for Power Apps licensing.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but hopefully clarifies where you're currently stuck and will hopefully allow you to approach the challenge in a different way.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

The use case for streaming datasets is for the display of transient data and should be regarded as volatile, even if you're using a push dataset with history enabled. They are not as fully featured as regular datasets and don't support filtering. As such there's only API methods to push data or clear the dataset. They're not a good substitute for a transactional database.

Power BI is not for the storage of data but for its aggregation and analysis, so if you want to set up something like what you're asking, this is beyond the features on offer for push/streaming datasets and you would be better looking to either:

• (if you have Premium) Create a dataset that live-connects to your report, and then use the XMLA endpoint methods to read or write data. However, this is still an analytical model and probably still a sub-optimal choice for persisting transactional data.
  • Implement your own middleware with a transactional database for persistence and manage read/write methods using suitable technologies.
    • Again, you'd want a data source that could support live-connect if you want something low latency
    • Then build a Power BI dataset that reads from this for your report.
    • If looking for a low-code solution, for example, you could manage this with CDS and Power Automate (if you're not familiar with the roles each part of Power Platform plays then this article does a good job of explaining that also).
    • As CDS is a premium connector for Power Automate, this simplicity would come at a cost, however, if you're not already paying for Power Apps licensing.

Probably not the answer you were looking for but hopefully clarifies where you're currently stuck and will hopefully allow you to approach the challenge in a different way.

Good luck!

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you Daniel.

it is a good advice.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.