Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fushan

dataset in workspace vs with report?

I am very new in powerBI and try to understand it.  Sorry if my question does not make any sense.

The DBA published a sample/template report ( *.pbix ) into workspace.  So I download it from workspace to use it for my developlment.  It has the report and actual data/tables.  

I continue to developed my report, renamed it ( told not to overwrite the template report )  and published it back to workspace.  I found, I think, now there are two dataset.  One for template report and one for my report.  I thought it is a good idea to keep one dataset ( one source of truth, also no point to refresh 2 same dataset everyday ) so I update my report to use the same dataset as template report  (   Get Data > Power Bi datasets ).  Here is my trouble.... I lost my ability to create a custom column.  lost ability to create new table.  All I can do is measure....

I wonder what is the proper development process in here?  Should I continue use the template dataset?  Can I update the template dataset in workspace ( I don't see option to create custom column in workspace )?  Any suggestion will help

Fushan

2 REPLIES 2
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fushan ,

No, it has no option to create cutom column in workspace.

In your case, if you want to add new column to the dataset, you need download the pbix file and upload it with the same name. Or, if you have premium capacity. you can use xmla endpoint to modify the dataset directly.

What Is the XMLA Endpoint for Power BI and Why Should I Care? - RADACAD

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Chenwu, thanks for feedback.   sorry for my many questions

What is the standard/best practice in my case?  Is that recommend to share the dataset from workspace?   In develpment process, should we always "download" the last copy of pbix from workspace, apply change, publish it back to workspace with the exactly same name?

You said " download the pbix file and upload it with the same name..."  but the pbix comes with the dataset and report itself...

1) Can I just download the dataset and "link" it back to my report in desktop?  

2) Is it possible other developer applied change in dataset and cause my report failed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.