Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JohnRamminger

Update the location of SharePoint List data for Power BI Report.

Hello, I have a question about Power BI reports. I have a client that is building reports for their locations and they are based on SharePoint lists. They have roughly 400 locations. I have been searching for a way to programmaticlly update the data source location and have not been successful. I know about the rest API's and have tried these functions with no success. They all appear to be focused on SQL. Has anyone done this successfully? I realize that I could ask the client to move the data into SQL, just looking for options.

Thanks,

John
2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Not sure I understand the use case - are they migrating tenants or something? It sounds like they built the architecture in a really unsustainable way. I think absolute worst case if you don't find something better, you might be able to do that with Power Automate Desktop, since it can interact with the PBIX directly (assuming you have all the PBIX in one place). E.g. have it loop through the files, opening the query editor, 'send keys' to copy the text, do a replace text on the URL, then have it paste the updated code in, apply, add a delay for the load time, and send keys to save. The republish bit would be sticky because I'm not sure you'd be able to get it to select the correct workspace, but it's something? 🙃

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I have a client that is building reports for their locations and they are based on SharePoint lists. They have roughly 400 locations

Do they have 400 lists?  all on the same site?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.