Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrianHoj
Frequent Visitor

Replace PBIX file in Embedded

We have gone through and built some sample web apps pointing to some sample PBIX files we loaded up into our Embedded Workspaces.  We would like to replace the existing PBIX file we uploaded with a new one.  How do we overwrite the existing and keep the same DataSet ID?

The scenario in the future would be that the user creates their reports in PBI Desktop and imports the data into the file.  We publish to PBI embedded.  At some point they want to change the file, add pages, visualization changes, refresh data, etc..  We don't want to change the App to reflect a new dataset id.  

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BrianHoj

Based on my test, the report id doesn't change in a overwritten import, thus it won't affect the report embedded somewhere in your application.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@BrianHoj

There's an argument nameconfilict for PostImportWithFileAsync, and as per this github sample, the argument value "Overwrite" can be used to overwrite the already existing dataset.

@v-lvzhan-msft wrote:

@BrianHoj

There's an argument nameconfilict for PostImportWithFileAsync, and as per this github sample, the argument value "Overwrite" can be used to overwrite the already existing dataset.

Thanks that helps a bunch.  Does that keep the ReportID the same as well?

@BrianHoj

Based on my test, the report id doesn't change in a overwritten import, thus it won't affect the report embedded somewhere in your application.

Hi I am using Power BI CLI commands to automate publishing power bi report into workspace

but overwrite option is not working for me anyone knows how can we achieve overwriting report using power bi cli

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors