Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBISQLUSR

Power BI .pbix to .zip - MIP Sensitivity Label effect on unzipping

I'm looking to understand expected behavior.  When saving a Power BI report (.pbix), to see the underlying details/metadata of the report, that file can be renamed from .pbix to .zip.   When integrating Power BI with Sensitivity Labels, I'm seeing conflicting behavior between General Encrypted and Confidential Encrypted.  General Encrpyted can be unzipped.  Confidential Encrypted fails - saying the zip file is empty.  I'm using the same file each time and have simply changed the Sensitivity lable to test.  All other factors are the same - same user id, connected via VPN, etc.  

Is this expected and if so, why?  I also tested on Highly Confidential Encrypted and also was not able to unzip.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBISQLUSR ,

The unzip operation you are doing is to get the underlying pbix file, and after you add the sensitive tag security reason), this is not allowed. You can check the documentation below, hope its helpful to you.

Sensitivity labels in Power BI

Restrict access to content by using sensitivity labels to apply encryption

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response.  However, if tht were the case, I would not be able to unzip any encrypted file.  Currently, Power BI reports marked with General Encrypted can be unzipped, but Confidential Encrypted cannot.  Is this expected and if so, why for only certain sensitivity labels? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.