Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Reply
AndrzejRusin
Regular Visitor

Power BI embedded report - USERNAME() function returns service principal id instead of username

Hi,

We have developed a .Net web application where we embed Power BI reports in the App-Owns-Data scenario, ie. with the use of service principal.

With each request to view a report the embedToken is generated depending on the report metadata, ie. it checks what datasets it is using, whether these datasets require EffectiveIdentity etc. In other words it constructs the token according to the requirements.

In case of mixed-storage reports (composite-models) which are using two or more datasets this token generation used to work fine and we were passing the username parameter in the EffectiveIdentity element to apply the RLS in the datasets, but since recently this functionality stopped working. Normally we used the USERPRINCIPALNAME or USERNAME function to retrieve the username parameter to apply the RLS in DAX, but now in case of mixed-storage reports these functions (USERPRINCIPALNAME, USERNAME and USEROBJECTID) are all returning service principal id (in guid format).

We updated the libraries of the application to use the most up-to-date ones but this gave no effect. Our conclusion is that something was changed in PowerBI Service itself.

It is worth noting that it all works fine in case of reports based on single dataset.

Has anyone run into the same issues recenlty in their embedded solutions?

Best regards,

Andrzej Rusin

4 REPLIES 4
AndrzejRusin
Regular Visitor

Hi @lbendlin 

Thank you for suggestion. We have raised a ticket already. Now we are waiting for response from support, but I was wondering if anyone else encountered such problem.

Hi,

 

There was a general issue in recent 2 weeks related to embedding reports with composite models (with DirectQuery to Power BI dataset). I don't know if the issue you encountered is from the same reason, but AFAIK that issue was resolved by Power BI so maybe you can try testing your scenario again.

Hi @AmosHersch 

Thanks for information. The issue currently still exists on our side, so I think it might have been something else.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That doesn't sound good. Since you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.