Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

nijos
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Visuals breaking After Transferring local measures to Dataset

I created a thin Power BI report that has a live connection to a Power BI dataset and created some local measures.

Now the report is ready and I want to add these created measures to the dataset it is connected to instead.

I used Tabular Editor 2 to copy these measures from the report to the dataset file.

I have tried with and without deleting the local measures from the report before connecting again.
However in both situations, the visuals are breaking.

I found the same problem already from some months ago from another user in this thread:

Solved: Power BI Visual Issues After Transferring Measures... - Microsoft Fabric Community

However, the provided solution, to remove obsolete measures from the visual in the thin report and replacing them with the latest ones from the dataset, is just the thing I would like to avoid as it takes time and can easily lead to errors.

Does anyone have advice or a best practice to follow to deal with this?

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
nijos
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Rena, I want to know if there is a solution or a best practice where I do no not have to do step 3 and re-create the visual. Right now I use the following workaround: I create (for example) a measure called "Temp Sales Amount" in my thin report and use it in the 10 visuals. I then use TE2 to copy and paste them in the dataset but change the name to "Sales Amount". Next I publish the dataset and remove the "Temp Sales Amount" measures and replace them with the "Sales Amount" one. I would like to know if there is a way I can avoid that work.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nijos ,

Base on your description, it seems you encoutered the visual breaks issue when transferred the local measures to the dataset in Power BI. You can follow the steps below to get it:

1. Please check if any measures with same name be applied in the visuals before deleting them

2. Add the local measures using Tabular Editor to the dataset first

3. Re-create the visual using these "new" measures and validate if they can display normally

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.