Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mohammed24
Frequent Visitor

Power BI RS Refresh fail- Incremental refresh not Possible

Hi there,

I'm encountering a refresh fail in one of my reports which is developed in Power BI RS version. The data takes over 4 hours to refresh. Whereas, in Power BI service the refresh gets timed out. 
One solution I came across for this was "Incremental Refresh". Incremental refresh will involve using Query folding on the data in Power query. But, since my data is Onpremise SharePoint List and I have used Odatafeed connector in Power BI desktop. I am unable to do query folding. Is there any solution to this?
Would really appreciate if there is a solution/Workaround to this  issue.

Thank You
Regards,
Mohammed

3 REPLIES 3
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I assume the version of pbi desktop you are using is because you are on PBI RS and using it there.   If you are using PBI.COM,  I would download the latest version of PBI desktop (You can have both Power BI desktop for PBI RS any version and PBI desktop latest version on the same machine).    Incremental refreshes works for me in Dataflows in PBI.COM with and OData endpoint.    I assume that the OData endpoint is accessible outside the firewall for your sharepoint list as well.   PBI.COM will need to be able to access it that way.

mohammed24
Frequent Visitor

Hi @luisrh ,
Thanks for the reply.
However, My data source is SharePoint Onpremise list. I have tried query folding. The "Native query" option is greyed out for me. Although the article says that this necessarily mean that the data source does not support query folding. After I apply the steps and come to set a Incremental refresh the table dosen't show me the Incremental refresh option.
Here:

mohammed24_0-1678336299625.png

Do you think this has something to do with the version of PBI RS desktop im using?
M Power BI Report Server version is :

mohammed24_1-1678336430487.png

Really appreciate if you could answer this.

Thanks

Regards,
Mohammed

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Query folding is possible in sharepoint lists,  but in design mode you should ensure you use it.   There are multiple ways of doing this,  but if you want to use query folding in OData you should review this - Query folding - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.