Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amritad
Frequent Visitor

Password Protected Excel to load in power bi

I have a password protected excel and I want to load it in power bi. It has some secure data so unable to remove the password encryption. I am getting error like "Data is corrupted" whenever I try to load the excel. Is is not supported in power bi? Is there any workaround? 

4 REPLIES 4
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Power BI does support loading password-protected Excel files, so the issue might not be related to that. The "Data is corrupted" error message suggests that the Excel file might indeed be corrupted.

Here are some possible workarounds you can try:

1. Try repairing the Excel file: Open the file in Excel, go to "File" > "Options" > "Trust Center" > "Trust Center Settings" > "Protected View", and uncheck "Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet". Then, save the file and try loading it in Power BI again.

2. Save the Excel file in a different format: If repairing the file doesn't work, try saving it in a different format, such as CSV or text file. Then, import the data into Power BI from the new file format.

3. Use a third-party tool: If none of the above methods work, you can try using a third-party tool to extract the data from the Excel file. There are various tools available online that can help you bypass password-protected Excel files and extract the data into a new file format that can be loaded into Power BI.

However, it's important to note that bypassing password protection on an Excel file might be a violation of privacy or security policies, and should only be done with permission from the owner of the file.

Can you please let me know how power bi supports password protected file. I have done a through research and I facing similar post in community as well. Is that connector is available in the new version????

Its not about the data corruption though it is very misleading message we are getting. I tried with simple excel as well with and without encryption. I am not able to load encrypted file. Please help me with the steps to load passoword protected excel file

Hi @amritad - Excel files with password protection aren't currently supported. Here's the idea for the feature that you can add your vote to.

An alternative solution in the current state would be to keep the file in a secure location and load from there.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.