Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ctaulbee

Optimal VM setup for Enterprise Gateway?

Hi All,

I'm looking to set up some virtual machines to host data gateways for refreshing my data. Is there an optimal set up that keeps costs down with consistent performance? I plan on refreshing maybe 5 times a day? Up to 8.

Any resources would be appreciated.

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

5 to 8 refreshes a day?  You barely need a single VM for that.

Here's what we use in our company (in addition to all the rogue single-VM gateways):

- gateway cluster with four VM members, geographically dispersed for BCP reasons

- each VM has 8 cores, 32GB RAM, 100GB free disk space

- all VMs are running Server 2012 R2 (meh) with all the latest and greatest patches applied and all required database drivers installed (Oracle, MySQL, PostGres, Vertica, HortonWorks etc etc.)

- extensive monitoring to make sure all cluster members get their fair share of work and that refresh queries complete in reasonable amount of time

This setup supports about 150 connections and about 500 refreshes per day with some breathing space.  The Gateway Admin console is a surprising bottleneck as it gets really slow after you add 100 or so connections.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ctaulbee - 

It can be difficult to accurately estimate the right size. We recommend that you start with a machine with at least 8 CPU cores, 8 GB of RAM, and multiple Gigabit network adapters. You can then measure a typical gateway workload by logging CPU and memory system counters. For more information, see Monitor and optimize on-premises data gateway performance.

From - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/gateway-onprem-sizing

You could try starting with a D2 v3 which is about $150/month. Might be OK. Worst case, go with a D8 v3 for $600/month. If you only run it during business hours (8 hours a day) those costs are 1/3rd or less (no weekends)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.