Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rohanghule13
Regular Visitor

Need help On waterfall chart - I want to fix breakdown in alphabetical order

I have created seperate category and breakdown table. And created different measures for all last year, current year and all 12 breakdown values (Months) measure.
In Category table - Last year and Current Year
In Breakdown Table - January, febuary,......,December 

I have used "https://youtu.be/XgfJN8kvbOo?si=kBnrNnl-8XyPseJY" this link to create waterfall chart with all values.

But I am not able to set order in alphabitcal order fixed. It is changes according to first Incresaed values and then decreased values.
I want Last Year, January, Febuary,..December , Current year in this order it should not be change after values changes  (Increased or decreased), order should keep same.

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Martin_D
Super User
Super User

Hi @rohanghule13 ,

There is no way to sort the breakdown other than by value. As you can see in your referenced video, the order of Price, Volume, Mix also changes based on their values when different filters are applied resulting in different values.

As a workaround you can use a stacked column chart in which the column sections that show your breakdown are stacked on top of a column section with background color or transparency so it looks like a waterfall chart. Then you can define the x-axis categories and order in a new table as you like and write two measures for the actual values and the blank space below the values in the column chart.

If you want to apply different colors, like red, green, blue, transparent to the column sections then you can also write measures to provide these colors. The color code for transparency is any 8-digit hex number ending with 00, e.g. "#00000000".

This video shows the fundamental idea of using a column chart: Floating Column Chart or Step column Chart in Power BI - YouTube

Alternatively you can check wether custom visuals work for you.

BR

Martin

github.pnglinkedin.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.