Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

hdunnehowrie

Is it possible to set up an automated ingest of email attachments?

We have set up to send to email addresses data from external supplier for usage stats. These are emailed to my inbox very Monday morning and the attachment is .xls format and includes a data of data. 

I'd like to set up an automated ingest to PowerBI of this data so that I don't need to manually collate this. 

Has anyone done similar to this? I assume I need to set up an Automate flow but I'm new to PowerBI. Does anyone have advice on the best way to go about doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hdunnehowrie ,

You can use Power Automate to automatically load email attachments in .xls format into Power BI. You can create a flow that is triggered when an email arrives in your inbox, and then use the actions in the flow to save the attachment to a specified location, such as OneDrive or SharePoint. From there, you can use the Power BI connector in Power Automate to refresh a dataset or add rows to a table in Power BI. You can refer the following links to get it.

Official Microsoft Power Automate documentation - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

"When a new email arrives" trigger

Get attachment 

Create table

Add rows to a table

And you can post a thread in Power Platform Community for a dedicated support.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hdunnehowrie

Thanks @v-yiruan-msft. Of course, I can send to a SP list! and from there pull into PowerBI. I think I was overcomplicating this be thinking I had to add straight into PowerBI. 

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hdunnehowrie ,

You can use Power Automate to automatically load email attachments in .xls format into Power BI. You can create a flow that is triggered when an email arrives in your inbox, and then use the actions in the flow to save the attachment to a specified location, such as OneDrive or SharePoint. From there, you can use the Power BI connector in Power Automate to refresh a dataset or add rows to a table in Power BI. You can refer the following links to get it.

Official Microsoft Power Automate documentation - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

"When a new email arrives" trigger

Get attachment 

Create table

Add rows to a table

And you can post a thread in Power Platform Community for a dedicated support.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.