Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

inoitunoit
Regular Visitor

How to create a new Workspace in azure Workspace Collection without command line tools?

Hi,

I'm primarily a data analyst, not a programmer, so forgive me if I'm not familiar with how to do this. I'm trying to create a Power BI Workspace within the Azure Power BI Workspace Collection. I cannot find any way to achieve this without downloading a compiling a special command line tool. I don't have visual studio and don't really want to download and install it, then figure out how to compile the tool, JUST to create a workspace. I tried the pre-compiled (ie Windows Installer) CLI tool but it does not have the option to create workspaces. 

Surely there is a way I can do this from the Azure user interface?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@inoitunoit

I built the solution and it gives me an exe. Please download and go to "power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSample\bin\Debug" and try to execute the "ProvisionSample.exe".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@inoitunoit I'm not aware of any UI that will allow you to do this. There is step by step documentation on how to set this up... have you seen this?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes that is the guide I have followed which is the one that has at step 3. "Compile the solution." which is the thing I cannot do. It's a shame because everything up to this point - setting up databases, ETLs etc I could do really easily, then you get to this aweful step.

@inoitunoit

I built the solution and it gives me an exe. Please download and go to "power-bi-embedded-integrate-report-into-web-app-master\ProvisionSample\bin\Debug" and try to execute the "ProvisionSample.exe".

Thank you! I'm assuming I just edit the file ProvisionSample.exe.config and should be good to go?

What I have literally *just* finished doing is configuring a report manually, using postman to construct the requests, following this guide: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-iframe/

Good to know I'll never have to do that again! Hopefully in the future this kind of thing can be done via the UI.

Thanks again.

Great. I love the POSTMAN. 🙂

I don't change the config. In the prompt cmd window, it asks to input the config items.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.