Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Divide a filtered value by another filtered value

Hi all, 

I am devoloping a dashboard to see how many downloads we had about a specif .pdf regarding a specific event. Additionally I want to show how many of these downloads come from the Webisite, LinkedIn and Email. Unfortunately I am stuck with this latest point cause I can't manage to get the right formula. 

Please see the below set of data: 

Capture.PNG 

As you can see I have 2 events. By Source I mean from where the .pdf was downloaded and the ID is the unique id of the contact that downloaded the report (please be aware that in the real environment I don't have the ID nut the email address).

Now what I would like to have for Event1 would be a graph that shows the below stats when I filter by Event1:

Email: 18.18%

LinkedIn: 45.45%

Does anybody know a way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Ale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alessandro-laba,

I've provided you with a solution below, and I've created a simple workbook for you to explore further if you want to play around.

Just as a heads-up: if you have any questions like this in future, it's probably best to start in either the DAX or Desktop forums, as they have a lot of users actively monitoring threads and can help much faster than in here. We don't get a lot of traffic within this particular forum. It's typically geared towards extension of Power BI through software development tools.

Onto your solution! 🙂

I've replicated your data into a table called Data for this example, so this is the object name the measures will use.

First of all, we need our numerator, so we create a measure for this, e.g.:

# Downloads = COUNTROWS(Data)

We can check this works as we expect with our slicer:

count_slicer.gif

Now, we need to get the denominator. We create a new measure for this, e.g.:

# Total Downloads for Event = 
    CALCULATE(
        [# Downloads],
        ALLEXCEPT(Data, 'Data'[NameOfTheEvent])
    )

In this case, we re-use our above measure but remove the filter on the table, except for the NameOfTheEvent column using the CALCULATE and ALLEXCEPT DAX functions. This effectively groups the measure by that column. We can check this again in our table and slicer, e.g.:

count_denominator.gif

Now that we know that choosing by event gives us the correct numerator and denominator, we can just create a measure that divides them and then format that as a percentage, e.g.:

% Downloads by Source = 
    DIVIDE(
        [# Downloads],
        [# Total Downloads for Event]
    )

We can verify this again, e.g.:

percentage.gif

Note that this matches your specification as the slicer is changed. It's also only going to work for this particular scenario, so you'll need to apply these principles if you want to work with different fields within your model.

Hopefully this should be all you need. Good luck!

Daniel

If my post solves your challenge, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alessandro-laba,

I've provided you with a solution below, and I've created a simple workbook for you to explore further if you want to play around.

Just as a heads-up: if you have any questions like this in future, it's probably best to start in either the DAX or Desktop forums, as they have a lot of users actively monitoring threads and can help much faster than in here. We don't get a lot of traffic within this particular forum. It's typically geared towards extension of Power BI through software development tools.

Onto your solution! 🙂

I've replicated your data into a table called Data for this example, so this is the object name the measures will use.

First of all, we need our numerator, so we create a measure for this, e.g.:

# Downloads = COUNTROWS(Data)

We can check this works as we expect with our slicer:

count_slicer.gif

Now, we need to get the denominator. We create a new measure for this, e.g.:

# Total Downloads for Event = 
    CALCULATE(
        [# Downloads],
        ALLEXCEPT(Data, 'Data'[NameOfTheEvent])
    )

In this case, we re-use our above measure but remove the filter on the table, except for the NameOfTheEvent column using the CALCULATE and ALLEXCEPT DAX functions. This effectively groups the measure by that column. We can check this again in our table and slicer, e.g.:

count_denominator.gif

Now that we know that choosing by event gives us the correct numerator and denominator, we can just create a measure that divides them and then format that as a percentage, e.g.:

% Downloads by Source = 
    DIVIDE(
        [# Downloads],
        [# Total Downloads for Event]
    )

We can verify this again, e.g.:

percentage.gif

Note that this matches your specification as the slicer is changed. It's also only going to work for this particular scenario, so you'll need to apply these principles if you want to work with different fields within your model.

Hopefully this should be all you need. Good luck!

Daniel

If my post solves your challenge, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi @dm-p

Thank you very much that's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Ale  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.