Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

timcorke
Helper I
Helper I

Data Hub - updates to dataset, not data refresh

Good morning experts,

A bit of background.

• I work within a development team that builds PBI reports from a centralised data warehouse,
  • This data warehouse is populated from data from across the organisation
  • New tables are incrementally added into the data warehouse to build the respective functionality for the coming weeks.
  • We're making one of these datasets available to a wider group of users so they can build their own reports.

We want to understand whether inbuilt Power BI functionality and specifically Data Hub can be used as a tool to update these users on the incremental update of a dataset, e.g. week 1 - tables A-E are added, week 2 - tables F-I, week 3 - nothing happens, week 4 - J-Z.

My understanding is that Data Hub will make the overall dataset visible to users and can advise whether/when the data within has been refreshed, but am not sure whether it has the functionality to notify specifically that the dataset has physically changed to include new tables, and what those changes were. 

Obviously if we need we can communicate this manually but wanted to explore whether there was some form of in built / automated functionality within Power BI that might be useful to explore.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2 REPLIES 2
timcorke
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-shex-msft thanks for your reply - but this isn't really answering the question, and as such not sure how this has become an Accepted Solution.

I'm looking to understand whether Data Hub helps with the notification of users of specific changes to the tables being refreshed, not how to refresh data. Failing that, whether there was an automatic way of doing this?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @timcorke,

I think the incremental refresh and filter by user parts are possible to be achieved on the power bi side.

Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Solved: RLS with UserName() - Microsoft Power BI Community
For newly added tables, they were not able to be automatically added to the current report. You still need to manually maintain and update the report to add new content.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.