Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tylersbrown01
Frequent Visitor

Can't 'change source' in data source settings for Custom Connector

The Power BI team recently released the Data Connector SDK, allowing developers to develop custom data connectors in M to allow business users a more user-friendly experience when connecting to their databases. It's great for database companies like us, because we can provide a better interface for helping our users select their data.

There is one issue though... the 'change source' button in the 'data source settings' is disabled. This means that a user has no way to change the underlying data in a report environment. This feature is our 'bread and butter' and is possible with a vanialla OData query. So why can't we do it with a fancy connector? Am I missing somethg here? Is there another way to do it? By requesting new data (instead of modifying the existing tables) - all my dax measures and columns are useless because they are tied to the old datasource. 

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@tylersbrown01 wrote:

The Power BI team recently released the Data Connector SDK, allowing developers to develop custom data connectors in M to allow business users a more user-friendly experience when connecting to their databases. It's great for database companies like us, because we can provide a better interface for helping our users select their data.

There is one issue though... the 'change source' button in the 'data source settings' is disabled. This means that a user has no way to change the underlying data in a report environment. This feature is our 'bread and butter' and is possible with a vanialla OData query. So why can't we do it with a fancy connector? Am I missing somethg here? Is there another way to do it? By requesting new data (instead of modifying the existing tables) - all my dax measures and columns are useless because they are tied to the old datasource. 

@tylersbrown01

Thanks for reporting that. The Data Connector SDK is still in preview and currently it is only supported in Power BI Desktop. For any feedback, you can submit at Power BI Ideas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.