Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

paulotolentino
Frequent Visitor

BUG? Averages in PowerBI Desktop showing as Sums in PowerBI Embedded.

Hi!

I think I found a bug. A chart is showing discrepant values between PowerBI Desktop and PowerBI Web published.

I've tried changing the language, but it was to no avail. I couldn't devise any other hypothesis to test.

Please analyze the following screenshots:

This is the expected chart, and both bars and the line are based on averages of a DATEDIFF calculated column, using values from a single table.

Expected behavior (showing averages, not sums)

The image below shows the unexpected behavior. After publishing, the colors are slightly changed and it doesn't show the values as "Averages". Although it still says "Average" in the visual automatic "title", it's showing "Sum".

Unexpected behavior after publishing

Here is the .pbix file (OneDrive), if you want to investigate further.

I hope you can help me figuring out what's wrong.

Thank you for your incredible work. Cheers.

Paulo T.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@paulotolentino

Thanks for the snapshot. However I'm still not able to reproduce this issue. Could you try to re-create a new workspace and try to  publish the report to the new workspace? If the issue still persists, please submit a support ticket.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@paulotolentino wrote:

Hi!

I think I found a bug. A chart is showing discrepant values between PowerBI Desktop and PowerBI Web published.

I've tried changing the language, but it was to no avail. I couldn't devise any other hypothesis to test.

Please analyze the following screenshots:

This is the expected chart, and both bars and the line are based on averages of a DATEDIFF calculated column, using values from a single table.

Expected behavior (showing averages, not sums)

The image below shows the unexpected behavior. After publishing, the colors are slightly changed and it doesn't show the values as "Averages". Although it still says "Average" in the visual automatic "title", it's showing "Sum".

Unexpected behavior after publishing

Here is the .pbix file (OneDrive), if you want to investigate further.

I hope you can help me figuring out what's wrong.

Thank you for your incredible work. Cheers.

Paulo T.

@paulotolentino

The color difference is some kind of known issue, you could fix it by editing the report in Power BI service.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue your described. Based on my test, the report shows the same in desktop and service. You could try to install the latest desktop and have a re-try.

By the way, I'm not seeing any "Average" in the pbix file, the column value is "count of..." and line values are some rate precentage. Can you ensure that you've uploaded the correct file?

@Eric_Zhang

Hi, Eric! I retried with the latest version of PowerBI that I could install (2.48.4792.721 64-bit - july 2017), but I keep getting the same strange results. The colors are correct now, though.

Please  check this screenshot (OneDrive) to see a comparison between what it's being shown on PowerBI service (left screen) and what's is on the actual PowerBI Desktop visuals (right screen). Please, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and see the comments in red and green near the arrows.

Can you investigate further?

I've updated the .pbix file I linked before. It should be the same one that I'm using now. Here is the .pbix file (OneDrive).

Thank you!

@paulotolentino

Thanks for the snapshot. However I'm still not able to reproduce this issue. Could you try to re-create a new workspace and try to  publish the report to the new workspace? If the issue still persists, please submit a support ticket.

Capture.PNG

@Eric_Zhang

Thank you very much, Eric! It's now showing the same on both environments.

I did what you said and created a new Workspace. For doing that, I had to activate PowerBI Pro (trial).

Then I published the report on this new Workspace and it worked just fine.

After that, I republished the report on the original Workspace and it worked corretly too.

That was great because I didn't have to update the links in the iframes on our sharepoint. Thank you!

Maybe if someone stumbles upon the same issue in the future, they can test if just enabling the Pro version/trial fixes their problem.

Cheers! Smiley Very Happy

@Eric_Zhang

Hello again, Eric!

I'm sorry, but I think the issue is back, and I think PowerBI's personal gateway may be what's causing it.

The previous solution is still a workaround, but if you need the gateway to update your dataset, it'll cause the discrepancy we've been discussing in this topic.

Please, could you try and check if you can reproduce the error by scheduling an update using the "On-Premises Data Gateway (personal mode)"?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.