Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nikywilliams
Frequent Visitor

Any way to get last updated date for "Reports" and "Datasets"?

I've been looking through the REST API the last 45 minutes and I can't seem to find a feature that one would expect to be in an Enterprise grade solution. Maybe I'm just missing it?

I just want to know the last time a "Report" or a "Dataset" was last updated. Not "data refreshed" mind you, but an updated copy uploaded to the service.

I expected it to be in "Get Report In Group" for reports

GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/reports/{reportId}">

and in "Get Dataset In Group" for datasets

GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/datasets/{datasetId}

That information did not seem to be in either one of those API calls. Anyone have any suggestions for obtaining this information?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nikywilliams ,

The API Datasets - Get Datasets In Group only return the report created date, and not include the last published date...

yingyinr_0-1639038974457.png

If you want to check the date which the report last published, you can go to the corresponding workspace and find the corresponding report to open the report. The report owner and the last updated date are shown in the top middle of the page as shown below. Please check if this is the information you want.

yingyinr_1-1639039036112.png

In addition, please review the following thread which has same problem with you. Hope it can give you any other insight or clue.

Need to find publish date of a report

@ptnewman I don't believe there is anything you could do for this case, but you can enable audit tracking on your Power BI service in the Office 365 admin portal. Looking at the current actions tracked, there isn't specifically one for edit of a report, but you may get something under "edit dashboard"... Check this out for more details.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft Thank you very much for your time and effort on this question, you provided a lot of information. I did happen to see the createdDate value in the JSON returned from "Get Dataset In Group", but tracking the last date the dataset/report was changed is the primary goal. We have many datasets/reports so it would be very time consuming to look at them one by one. The idea was to automate the collection of this metadata to help with troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I won't be able to mark this as an accepted solution. It doesn't sound like Microsoft has this metadata currently available via API means. I'll just have to wait until they decide to make it available.

Nik

Hi @nikywilliams ,

You can consider opening one new idea ticket on Power BI Ideas. And here is one similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas, you can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors