Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

komald
Helper I
Helper I

when to use power bi dataset and when to use power bi dataflow?

i need your suppoort to understand power bi dataset vr dataflow

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @komald 

Power BI dataflow is Power Query Online. It can do what you do with Power Query Editor in Power BI Desktop. It is used to connect to data sources, transform and filter data, combine multiple queries, etc. It deals with the ETL process of data. It doesn't include data model (relationships between tables, measures, calculated columns, calculated tables). However a Power BI dataset has data model in it. 

You can refer to this article to learn more differences between them: Power BI Datamart Vs. Dataflow Vs. Dataset - RADACAD . Power BI Datamart is newly introduced in this year. You may have an interest in it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @komald 

Power BI dataflow is Power Query Online. It can do what you do with Power Query Editor in Power BI Desktop. It is used to connect to data sources, transform and filter data, combine multiple queries, etc. It deals with the ETL process of data. It doesn't include data model (relationships between tables, measures, calculated columns, calculated tables). However a Power BI dataset has data model in it. 

You can refer to this article to learn more differences between them: Power BI Datamart Vs. Dataflow Vs. Dataset - RADACAD . Power BI Datamart is newly introduced in this year. You may have an interest in it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

keshavagrawal27
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @komald,

Please reffer the below article for the same:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/When-to-use-Dataflow-vs-Dataset/m-p/2238793

Please mark my answer as solution.

Regards,

Keshav Agrawal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.