Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EddyGD
Regular Visitor

trying to calculate cumulative quantities over time, with no Transactions on certain dates

I am trying to calculate cumulative quantities over time, but the issue I am facing is that when there are no transactions on a particular day, the measure doesn't consider the last calculated value. How can I solve this.

The below is the measure I am using and explination:

'Main Hastings-N22 Main Transaction (3)' is my transaction table with Item#, TRANSACTION_DATE and QTY as colums. QTY has positive and negative values, If the transaction is adding to the inventory the value will be positive and vise-versa.

'Main Haistings-N22 First Available' is a table that holds my first ever inventory and has Item#, AVAILABLE_QTY as columns. Item# holds unique values.

Main Availability =
VAR SelectedDate = MAX('Main Hastings-N22 Main Transaction (3)'[TRANSACTION_DATE])
VAR Availableondate =
    CALCULATE(
        SUM('Main Haistings-N22 First Available'[AVAILABLE_QTY]) +
        SUM('Main Hastings-N22 Main Transaction (3)'[QTY]),
        'Main Hastings-N22 Main Transaction (3)'[TRANSACTION_DATE] <= SelectedDate,
        ALL('Main Hastings-N22 Main Transaction (3)'[TRANSACTION_DATE])
    )
RETURN
    Availableondate

EddyGD_0-1706128330175.png

The values circuled are the result of the measure and they are correct but the rest are the values from my 'Main Haistings-N22 First Available'[AVAILABLE_QTY]) and in this case it should stay 5000 till 12/6/2023, but in this period I have no transactions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@EddyGD 

i would suggest to create w valid dimdate table, --> https://radacad.com/create-a-date-dimension-in-power-bi-in-4-steps-step-1-calendar-columns

STEP 2 : link this table to the transaction date column  to both tables fact tables you have in your model

STEP 3 : drag and drop date column from dimdate table to the visual instead of the one from the existing table

step3 : 

Main Availability =
VAR SelectedDate = MAX(dimdate[date])
VAR Availableondate =
    CALCULATE(
        dimdate[date]  <= SelectedDate,
        ALL(dimdate)
    )
RETURN
    Availableondate

tell me if it works out for you . 

If my response has successfully addressed your issue kindly consider marking it as the accepted solution! This will help others find it quickly. I would appreciate hitting that kudos button 👍🫡

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EddyGD
Regular Visitor

Thank you @Daniel29195 the solution worked perfectly!

Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@EddyGD 

i would suggest to create w valid dimdate table, --> https://radacad.com/create-a-date-dimension-in-power-bi-in-4-steps-step-1-calendar-columns

STEP 2 : link this table to the transaction date column  to both tables fact tables you have in your model

STEP 3 : drag and drop date column from dimdate table to the visual instead of the one from the existing table

step3 : 

Main Availability =
VAR SelectedDate = MAX(dimdate[date])
VAR Availableondate =
    CALCULATE(
        dimdate[date]  <= SelectedDate,
        ALL(dimdate)
    )
RETURN
    Availableondate

tell me if it works out for you . 

If my response has successfully addressed your issue kindly consider marking it as the accepted solution! This will help others find it quickly. I would appreciate hitting that kudos button 👍🫡

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.