Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sher
Helper I
Helper I

table value display issue

Hi there,

I'm working on a simple report, to simplify the problem im having, I have three columns:

- Column A

- Column B

- Column C

all of which are derived from different tables in my power BI model. the data is basically derived from an online form made up of sections, so each of the columns are from different sections. not every section has to be filled in so the first example below.

Sher_0-1596096993196.png

so as you can see from the above , section C hasnt been filled out which leaves a blank value after i have selected show items with no data in my table visualisation.

the issue im having is I want to put column C after column A but this then wipes out the value in column B (see below)

Sher_1-1596097515791.png

and then even worse i found that if i put column C in front of column A then it completely wipes out that row (see below)

Sher_2-1596097592692.png

As a work around I have managed to make this work as intended but i merged the tables with left outer joins in power query which then gave me the result i wanted (see below)

Sher_3-1596097728279.png

so the reason for posting this was to understand, if anyone knows, why if I join my tables up the normal way in power BI through the model using the connectors rather than the power query merge way why something simple as the above wont work?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sher ,

Could you please share your sample data here if you don't have any Confidential Information? Please upload your files to OneDrive for Business and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Could you by any chance post the pbix file here? 

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn

hi @tex628  how do i attatch the power bi file on here?

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry, you will need to upload it to google docs, sharepoint online or something similar. 

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn

hi @tex628 ive published it to the PBI service and made public

below is the link: is this ok it does it need to be else where?

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMjJkMTNlODQtM2JiYi00MjM3LTgwMGQtMTBkMTcwZDc3N2YxIiwidCI6IjY5N...

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm going to need the .pbix file so I can see what's behind the curtain! 🙂 If there is confidential information in the file we'll have to see if we can recreate the issue in a dummy file. 

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.