Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zancho
Frequent Visitor

slicer

Hello!

Is there a way to limit how much is selected? What I mean there is a slicer with select all but I need to restrict to possibility choice only 1, 2 or 3 categories from the list.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

OK that is somewhat different. I don't know of a way to prevent the user from selecting more than a certain number of categories. Of course if it would be sufficient to visually show the user that he is "misbehaving", there are solutions.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, I agree with Erik. It's possible to alert your user they're doing something wrong with a measure that counts the distinct rows in your slicer column. Or something like that iis probably the most pragmatic solution

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm not sure entirely what you mean, could you include some pictures of what you would like?

If you are trying to filter your slicer so that only certain values are available, unfortunately that isn't possible. You cannot have a visual level filter on a slicer. It's a pain but if you think it should be included (it really should), then you can vote for that feature here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12545673-visual-level-filtering-i...

You could work around it by using a visual that isn't a slicer, like a bar graph, or perhaps you could create a small visual that isn't visible on your page but is filtering only the slicer so that it includes just the values you want.

Thanks,

Will

Page level filtering on the slicer does work though. Just drop your category into the page level filter box and select the categories you want to show.

Thank you!

What i want is if i select 3 items then i can't choose the 4th. I tried to draw what I whant to achieve, it's something like this:slicer.PNG

Hi @Zancho,

Current power bi not contain the feature to control the selected item amount. I'd like to suggest you submit this requirement to ideas.

BTW, you can also add the conditons to measure to replace the result if the selected more than 3 items.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

oh, thank you! i will also try this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I see what you mean. Hmm, I'm not sure that is possible essentially you are trying to filter a column dynamically and I just don't think that's possible, especially considering slicers can't take visual level filters. I was thinking about doing something clever with measures but it beats me.

Sorry I couldn't help.

OK that is somewhat different. I don't know of a way to prevent the user from selecting more than a certain number of categories. Of course if it would be sufficient to visually show the user that he is "misbehaving", there are solutions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, I agree with Erik. It's possible to alert your user they're doing something wrong with a measure that counts the distinct rows in your slicer column. Or something like that iis probably the most pragmatic solution

Big thank you both of you! I will try work around with alerting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.