Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sy898661
Helper V
Helper V

show all months on graph even with no data

Hi all!

I am trying to recreate an excel graph in PBI and am having some issues... 

Is it possible to have this graph in PBI:

2.PNG

look like this grpah in Excel:

1.PNG

like how it has the blank space were there is no data rather than just skipping to the next data-filled month?

I tried changing the x axis to continuous and manually seting the start and end date but that didnt work, and I also tried to add a date table and put 0 as the value for the non-data-filled months but that didnt work either.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know 🙂 thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sy898661 ,

You can try to put month hierarchy in the x-axis field and enable 'Show items with no data' option to achieve this:

show items with no data.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sy898661 ,

You can try to put month hierarchy in the x-axis field and enable 'Show items with no data' option to achieve this:

show items with no data.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You saved my life. Thanks a lot!

I tried this but, when I take calculated column

Calculated Column : Format(Date, "MMM")
then for this It does not show any data for Blank months.

Hi,

Sorry to dig this post up, but i have a similar issue and while your solution helped me display the months with 0 data inputs, it also disabled my set filter.

In my case I have data from the last couple of years, but only want to show the latest 12 months. Now I get everything before that AND all upcoming months of this year as well.

Is there a way to filter those again?

Thank you!

I have the same problem.

when I choose show items with no data, my 12 months filter doesn't work. Does anyone now how to fix it?

@v-yingjl I added in dummy data-lines where there was no data for the dates we needed spaces in and tried this and it worked!! thank you so much!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having to put a lot of zeros in the excel tables were so frustrating, now this saved my life, I am so relieved

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@sy898661 , With the visible viusal, I doubt. But this how it can happen if you want a break in between.

1. Make the value for those months as blank, not 0. If(Max(Table[Month] in {"Apr20","May20"}, blank(),[measure])

2. Make the type as Categorical

If it does not resolve. Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I don't see what's wrong with the Power BI picture. It is a representation of your data with a high level of truthiness.

@lbendlin The two areas are separated in the excel graph because they are two different campaigns that happen to fall in the same year. My boss is looking for separation. I know it technically portrays the same information but its not what I am looking to do....

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.