Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

same period last year using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR return nothing

I have a date dimension table with a date key and a date field. the date key is joined to the date key in sales table

but the

Total Sales LY = CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[Today sales]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]))

return nothing

but I have another similar model using joint with date field rather than the date, the functions works. I am not sure if the difference causes the issue? Any one got a clue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Looks like expert has confirmed my theory that we SHOULD not have surrogate key in the Date dimension for the function to work. 

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/data-import-best-practices-in-power-bi/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set up another simple model to test this. I was able to replicate the issue. 

If the date dimension is joined to a fact table with a date column (EG 2 may 2016), the sameperiodlastyear function (and the dateadd etc) will work.

If the date dimension is joined to a fact table with a datekey column (EG 20160502), the sameperiodlastyear function (and the dateadd etc) will not work.

Can anyone confirm this is a known issue with Power BI or something missing in my setup?

At the end of the day, as a workaround, I can always add a date column in the fact table. But it just does not make sense as the date dimension should use date key for joining. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Looks like expert has confirmed my theory that we SHOULD not have surrogate key in the Date dimension for the function to work. 

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/data-import-best-practices-in-power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.