Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baxterj
Frequent Visitor

reporting comma separated values in one cell

I am still in the learning process and I ran into an issue I can’t figure out.  I have 2 tables:

table_role  

ID                    Role

1                   Advisor

2                  Manager

3                  Director

4                 Employee

table_review

ID                     present

1                        1,3,4

2                        2,4

3                       1,2,3,4

The goal is to show how many times each role member attended a review. Do the values of table_review.present need to be split before applying a chart?

If not how, can this be visualized in a simple bar chart?

If so, the data is coming in from an online database so I’ll need the process to be automated. Is this possible? If so how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you have to split the comma separated values in your table table_review into separate rows to get something like this

id | present

1 | 1

1 | 3

1 | 4

2 | 2

2 | 4

Then you can create a relationship between the tables wiht table_role on the one-side and table_review on the many-side.

You achieve this by using the query editor, please have a look at this post

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-split-the-the-Column-into-Multiple-rows/m-p/255014#M...

Please be aware that in the above mentioned post the separator "semicolon" is used, just make sure that you choose comma.

In a visual use the column Role as axis and the ID-column from table_review as value, but change the aggregation type from SUM to COUNT by using the context menu on the ID-column after you assigned it to the visual.

Hope this gets you started

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

you have to split the comma separated values in your table table_review into separate rows to get something like this

id | present

1 | 1

1 | 3

1 | 4

2 | 2

2 | 4

Then you can create a relationship between the tables wiht table_role on the one-side and table_review on the many-side.

You achieve this by using the query editor, please have a look at this post

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-split-the-the-Column-into-Multiple-rows/m-p/255014#M...

Please be aware that in the above mentioned post the separator "semicolon" is used, just make sure that you choose comma.

In a visual use the column Role as axis and the ID-column from table_review as value, but change the aggregation type from SUM to COUNT by using the context menu on the ID-column after you assigned it to the visual.

Hope this gets you started

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I was able to make it do what I needed it to do with your direction. Thank you Tom!

Glad, I could assist!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Interkoubess
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @baxterj,

I don't know for the chart but I will transform my data in Power Query ( split with comma) in order to put the table review data in columns and then I can proceed with a measure or show it with a simple chart.

Can you transform with Power Query, if yes let us know and then I will send the email ( I have not Power Bi right now...).

Otherwise other persons could help you.

Ninter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors