Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MF96
Frequent Visitor

"Working on it" after only hitting "New measure"

Since before the weekend I've experienced a so far unfamiliar problem. When I try to create a new measure this box ("Working on it") instantly show up, and it will not go away. I eventually end up force quitting.

MF96_0-1639998650091.png

At first I suspected one pbix-file was broken, but it then happen again when I tried to recreate my report. The data size is not particularly big, so this should not be the problem. After I created a new file, I was able to create four measures before I ran in to the same issues. 

I've restarted my computer multiple times, as well as reinstalled Power BI, but the same issues occurs. 

This puts everything I work on on hold. Has anybody experienced this before, and know how to fix it? As for now, I can not make any new measures. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MF96
Frequent Visitor

Thank you all for helping out. Editing existing measure worked fine, but I was not able to create new ones, as the program freezed (stuck on "working on it") as soon as I hit the "new measure" button. I ended up reinstalling the november 2021 version and recreate the reports that I was having issues with. For now, I have still not figured out what was wrong, but everything is OK and working. However, I am sure the issue was not lack of RAM or Hard disc space. When the january update is ready, I will go back to using the latest version, hopefully I won't experience the same issues. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
MF96
Frequent Visitor

Thank you all for helping out. Editing existing measure worked fine, but I was not able to create new ones, as the program freezed (stuck on "working on it") as soon as I hit the "new measure" button. I ended up reinstalling the november 2021 version and recreate the reports that I was having issues with. For now, I have still not figured out what was wrong, but everything is OK and working. However, I am sure the issue was not lack of RAM or Hard disc space. When the january update is ready, I will go back to using the latest version, hopefully I won't experience the same issues. 

I'm having this issue too.  I've had it happen on multiple files now.  Once it starts happening it seems like the file is cursed.  I can't do if the most basic things with new measures without it chugging up my computer for minutes.  What did you end up doing? 

MF96
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately I never figured out what caused this, but as I've stated in previous post I had to reinstall a previous version of Power BI and redid my last changes in my report (I opened a report version that was never opened in the PBI version I experienced trouble with). When Power BI had a new version, I downloaded it and did not face the same issue again. I am sorry I can not be more helpful on this. 

I found a calculated column that was taking a long time to process. Once I removed the column it fixed the issue.  I have a new problem now, though:  I need the calculated column.  Ha!  

I also don't understand why clicking on "new measure" triggers the reprocessing of the calculated column. I figured the calculated column wouldn't need to reprocess unless I refreshed the data. 

Hi @MF96 ,

I am facing a similar issue, could you please let me know the steps that you followed or any changes that you did in power bi app which led to resolving your issue.

Would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.

MF96
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

Unfortunately I never figured out what caused this, but as I've stated in previous post I had to reinstall a previous version of Power BI and redid my last changes in my report (I opened a report version that was never opened in the PBI version I experienced trouble with). When Power BI had a new version, I downloaded it and did not face the same issue again. I am sorry I can not be more helpful on this. 

Hi @MF96 ,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that the problem only occurs when a new measure is created. Feel free to contact me if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MF96 , Please try these settings and increase the memory management cache to 8 GB, This should be supported by RAM and Virtual memory

Load Setting.png

Thank you for your respond. I've tried to follow your instructions, but the same issues occur. I find it hard to believe that the problems are due to data size or capacity, neither my CPU or computer memory are very affected when I try to create a new measure. Since I tried creating the model all over, I know I had no problems doing exactly what I am doing now just a few weeks ago. 

@MF96 , Please check, are browsers taking too much memory?  Make sure to enough free RAM and Hard disk space.

Also, make sure you are on the latest version.

if you are on Dec-2020, check if some else logged this kind of issue here : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

There should be no problem. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Power BI, i checked the version before and after reinstallation. 

MF96_0-1640002640186.png

MF96_2-1640002731956.png

Hi @MF96 ,

Are others experiencing the same problem as you? Please try updating your Power BI Desktop to the latest version and see if the problem persists. This post below seems to have the same problem as you, and it mentions that a support ticket has been mentioned. I will keep you updated if there is any progress later.

PBI lockup/freeze while editing DAX measures

yingyinr_1-1640247723532.png

Also, please try creating a very simple pbix file with a table like the one below with Entry data method. Then create a few more metrics to see if you have the same problem.

yingyinr_0-1640247650137.png

Finally, to avoid problems with the measures themselves, you can refer to the following link for some optimizations to your measures.

DAX Best Practice Guide

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.