Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dwayne_Thomson
Frequent Visitor

"Unable to Save Document"

I have ben using pbi desktop to develop reports, and I occassionally get this error: 

"An Error occurred while trying to save [path]/[name].pbix. Filemode or Fileaccess value is not valid for this stream."

this error results in me having to close without saving, and then try to load my data again or make any changes I was making. it does not appear to be connected to any single dataset, and is not predictable. on some of my files it happens one a week, and on others it is so bad that the files can no longer be used. Does anyone know what might be going on or how i can fix it? 

Thank you very much, 

Dwayne Thomson

8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dwayne_Thomson

As tested, it can’t be saved successfully when you put “/” in the File name box.

10.png

11.png

“it does not appear to be connected to any single dataset, and is not predictable”
Do you mean it doesn’t work when connect any data source to Power BI Desktop?
“on some of my files it happens one a week, and on others it is so bad that the files can no longer be used”
It means that some pbix files already created break down, right?

Best Regards
Maggie

Hello, 

I am checking in to see if anyone was able to solve this since I am still having this error. 

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution? 

the name of the file is not actually "path/name,pbix". that is the format of the error message; it shows the whole 

that was just a description of the format of the error message. it has nothing to do with the file name, since the file was working quite well for a few weeks. 

Also, the error is spurratic, and occassionally the file will save with no errors. So yes, some files that were created and work fine suddenly break down. also, some files that give me the error work with datasets that other corrupt files do not, so I can't isolate one data source as being the culprit. 

Hope this helps, and thanks. 

Dwayne_Thomson
Frequent Visitor

I have ben using pbi desktop to develop reports, and I occassionally get this error: 

"An Error occurred while trying to save [path]/[name].pbix. Filemode or Fileaccess value is not valid for this stream."

this error results in me having to close without saving, and then try to load my data again or make any changes I was making. it does not appear to be connected to any single dataset, and is not predictable. on some of my files it happens one a week, and on others it is so bad that the files can no longer be used. Does anyone know what might be going on or how i can fix it? 

Thank you very much, 

Dwayne Thomson

you have been able to solve this problem. The same thing has happened to me for a couple of weeks and I don't know how to fix it. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am receiving the same error message.  The only temporary solutions that works for me is to uninstall/reinstall the app.  However, it works for a couple of minutes then gives me the same error message.  Are there any other solutions yet?

I solved this by "save as" and then replacing the original file with the new "copy"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.