Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ngd_99
Frequent Visitor

"The name 'x' is already used for a column on table 'y'. Choose a different name"

Since I got February 2024 update for Power Bi Desktop (v2.126.927.0), I keep getting this message with ALL calculated columns in ALL tables, where it says the column x is already used in table y. I have checked and can confirm that calculated column with name x ONLY exists one time (not duplicated) ONLY in table y (so it makes no sense to point that out as an issue by Power BI). It happens with all calculated columns in all my files, which before the update did not cause any problem.

Picture1.png

Any idea hoy to solve this issue or what may be causing it?

14 REPLIES 14
jcp_ti_user10
Frequent Visitor

I have the some error after created more than one calculated column on the same table witch has data from another table as a result of a LOOKUPVALUE function. 
Is this your case?
If I delete these columns the error disappear. This behavier only exists on recent updates.

Hi - Yes, i have the same issue. Even if you remove the column, it continues until you delete all the calculated column. Some time the table name becomes the column name too.

abhishekrws01
Helper I
Helper I

I am having the same issue after Feb-2024 version. Seems like this is an issue

bklosowski
Frequent Visitor

Same bug here. I think it's related to one of the PReview features, I guess Visual Calculations. 

I've switched most Preview Features off and apparently the bug doesn't occur anymore. 

EDIT: I was wrong. The bug keeps happening even after deactivating the preview functions. 

Interesting, did not seem to work for me though.

Nevermind, I was wrong. 

I thought it was related to the preview functions but it's not. It kept happening even after I had most of them deactivated. 

I'll edit my previous reply. 

Jaime_Castillo

Same problem here! 100% sure there aren't duplicated names, but the message still appears for calculated columns. I'm with February 2024 version.

KaanY
Frequent Visitor

We're also getting this since this February 2024 update. It is highly infuriating and distracting, and so difficult to ignore.
Have tried simplyfying column names, but nothing seems to get rid of the error.

ngd_99
Frequent Visitor

I have found no solution so far that works for February 2024 update. However, I downgraded to previously available release (November 2023 when I did - now you have December 2023 available) and the error stopped appearing. You can find these versions here:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I know it is not an optimal solution but it worked for me. I will remain in this previous version until this gets fixed or someone knows exactly why it may be happening.

alex20274
Frequent Visitor

Agree with above, Im now just ignoring.

alex20274
Frequent Visitor

Im having the exact same problem, clearing cache has not resovled the issue, as a test I have opened prior reports and the issue now appears with any calculated column which didnt at the time when created. Therefore assume its to do with the lastest update. 

v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ngd_99 ,

Based on your problems, here are my answers.

Please check for hidden columns, sometimes hidden columns or columns in other tables can cause conflicts, make sure there are no hidden columns with the same name in other tables. To check for hidden columns, go to the “Model” view in Power BI Desktop and expand all tables to verify if any other columns share the same name.

vyilongmsft_0-1708565999092.png

Clear the Power BI Desktop cache by going to “File” > “Options and settings” > “Options” > “Data Load” > “Clear Cache.” Restart Power BI Desktop to see if the issue persists.

vyilongmsft_1-1708566204052.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Clearing the cache doesn't help.
I've seen other odd things like to unhide a page you have to click "Hide" again.
When I see little things like this is feels like a release that wasn't fully tested.

Sorry - clearing cache does not help.

I am able to make changes to the calcualted column (which save and reflect in Report View), but after after moving to another column, the pop-up appears.

It can be ignored but it's quite annoying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.