Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

istudent
Frequent Visitor

"Hot-linking" to More Data Within a Report?

Hello all,

I am trying to find a way to be able to click on a data point and see different features about it. For example, if I have a chart showing company data over time, is there a way to set up my report in such a way that I can click on the company and then see its data? For example, can I click on Company A and see the contact, address, phone number, etc. that is associated with that company? This is a vital part to our reports so I'm hoping that there is some way to do this with Power BI.

--
Bryan

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @istudent,

If I understanding correctly, what you required is a drill through action that it will jump to another report or another object which displays more detailed information according to report viewer's selection. But unfortunately, there is no such a functionality supported by Power BI desktop. As mentioned by dkay84_PowerBI, the workaround is to add those columns which contain detailed information to the tooltip part of the chart.

You can submit this feature request at this page: How can we improve Power BI? If this feature was mentioned by many users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release. 

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You can add those fields to the tooltip part of the chart and it will display on hover, or you can set up a table with that information and when click on a chart element (Company A) or a slicer it will crossfilter the table to display the info specific for the company.

I am able to set up that table, but the issue is that once I have data in a table I cannot drill down anymore. I can dump information to it, but I want to be able to click on it and view it as if it were it's own report. For example, I see data for different companies, so I click on a company and I can see all of the projects done with that company. From there I can see which staff members interacted, so I click on Staff member to see that information, and then what other projects that staff member worked on. It's more than just drilling and drilling, but being able to go from a report to in depth analysis and jumping around between different objects.

I know that drill down functionality within tables/matrixes is something that is being developed.

In the mean time, I would suggest the hierarchy slicer with the relevant tables/charts for the information you wish to display.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.