Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

"Discard changes" option after Close & Apply in Desktop window

Hello,

@amitchandak @edhans @parry2k

Some of my peers see the option "Discard changes" but I do not even though we both use the same desktop version(March 2020). See Image.

image.png

image.png

Any special settings I have to set to make it appear?

It really helps sometime to cancel the changes rather than manually going and removing the updates.

Thanks in Advance.
Vasanth

Connect on LinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@VasTg here is the link to the post

Try following solution

Download the latest June 2020 build (version: 2.82.5858.961). If the issue still exists, try the following:

1. Click “Discard changes” on the yellow warning bar, and take note of which tables its identifying as stale
    2. In the Power Query Editor, change the description for each of the “stale” queries with value something like “test”
    3. Apply changes

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Natascha
Frequent Visitor

I also have no option in the yellow bar to DISCARD changes. Only option is to APPLY. Trying to remove a SQL table from my report. This is not possible before I have APPLIED or DISCARDED my changes. APPLYING does not work, probably because of the query I want to remove. How do I get the DISCARD option?

edhans
Super User
Super User

I think this is related to the new Enhanced MetaData storage. I personally would not enable that feature to get this. It is still in beta, and I lost over a days work with this thing deleting my M code. Suposedly the July 2020 feature is more stable, but I'm still opting out for now. A few threads on this on Twitter the last two days.

If anyone knows how to get "discard changes" outside of that preview feature, I'd love to hear what it is.

The reason I think this is the cause is in the new storage model, M code is saved inside of DAX and not in the old place for Power Query code. So when you close Power Query, your code is gone, and when you reopen it, it extracts the PQ code and puts it back for you to edit. So now you can discard changes by not reloading the old and not the new.

But this has lost M code for me. The DAX model got confused as to what was done and when, and stopped saving any of my M code changes.

If your team members are using this, they should upgrade to the July 2020 build. March was horrible. I personally advise turning it off though.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Yikes..

Most of the time I edit the existing steps than adding new and combine multiple requests at once so that i don't have to wait for the data load everytime when working with large datasets. Sometimes its hard to remember exactly where i changed in M query to discard it and so I thought this feature might be a good. But I would do it manually than loosing everything.

Thanks Ed for the warning. I will go over the links and documentation. 

Appreciate your help.

Connect on LinkedIn

@VasTg I have a solution posted on this, let me find out the post and share it with you

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@VasTg here is the link to the post

Try following solution

Download the latest June 2020 build (version: 2.82.5858.961). If the issue still exists, try the following:

1. Click “Discard changes” on the yellow warning bar, and take note of which tables its identifying as stale
    2. In the Power Query Editor, change the description for each of the “stale” queries with value something like “test”
    3. Apply changes

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Thanks @parry2k .

I was looking at the preview feature. Good to know the issue and workaround. 

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors