Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emveha
Resolver III
Resolver III

publishing is complete, however we couldn't refresh your dataset

hi all,

this morning i have modified one of my datasets with the desktop version and after i saved the modifications i published the dataset to the webversion. Before closing the desktopversion, i got the message: "publishing is complete. However we couldn't refresh your dataset". Did a manually refresh with the desktop version which went well, but if i go to the web, i can run "refresh now" but nothing happens. Tried a different dataset and the strange thing is that i managed to update this dataset but others didn t update as well (it does not give any error messages and does not show that you have started a refresh on demand...). Checked the on-prem gateway with the most recent version and they both seems to be the same (both have version 14.16.6584.1).... 

Any ideas what to do???

thanks in advance
M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have the same issue, I managed to get a workaround but it's not perfect. 

So I store .pbix file on a SharePoint for a Version Control.

I went to Power BI Service -> Get data -> Files (Get) -> Pointed to my SharePoint location and it successfully published the report. But now I have two reports with same name... so it's not ideal.

I'm also wondering how this issue could be fixed.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

what you also could do is to open the pbix in desktop, go to the datasourcesettings and delete the one that is giving issues. After deleting create a new one and the dataset will still be working. Publish the Pbix and all reports are still okay.... In my case it worked.

albaantony
Regular Visitor

Hi 
I have faced the same issue a couple of times. Would like to have a solution for this. I always delete the dataset from the Power BI workspace and then re publish it. It works for me. 
Cheers, Alba

Hi Alba,

I am trying to delete my dataset from service but not be able to delete so in that case what should we do??

TIA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I have the same issue, I managed to get a workaround but it's not perfect. 

So I store .pbix file on a SharePoint for a Version Control.

I went to Power BI Service -> Get data -> Files (Get) -> Pointed to my SharePoint location and it successfully published the report. But now I have two reports with same name... so it's not ideal.

I'm also wondering how this issue could be fixed.

This solution was not the right solution for me. 

When I had this error I had to go into Power BI desktop and clear the Cache items.

This is found under 

File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Data Load 

Then Clear the

1. Data Cache Management Options

2. Q&A Cache Options

3. Folded Artifacts Cache Options

only after doing this did my report publish with out this error.

Mike_Carlo_0-1610493155204.png

Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips

apart from workaround do we have the permanent souliton for this? any update fix issue link? 

hi MXD,

thanks for the workaround, if there is no other solution offered i will certainly give your solution a try. Hope there is a solution for this, checked again all datasource connections within the datagateway and they seems to be working properly.... As Power bi is a part of Office365, i hope there were no changes on that level that could affect the way of working in PBI.... Anyway, let's wait if there is a good solution...

thanks!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.