Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kconner
Employee
Employee

problem with appending

Hi

I am a newbie to PowerBI...

I have two tables in PowerBI that I'd like to append to a third. They all have the exact same column titles but contain different row data.

When I go to append them in PowerBI desktop query editor, it lets me append, but when I go to apply /close editor, I get an error:

"The name 'availability' (this is one of my column names) is already used for a column on table Mail&Calendar(the name of my initially selected table that I'm appending to). Choose a different name."

I don't understand

1) I thought the whole point of appending was to add rows of data that were the of the same type/column name. - why does it care that I have a column named the same?

2) why does it pick out this one column name as being similar (when all columns are named the same as the other appending files?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi fellows,

I have a similar issue with append query. I did the suggestion that you mentioned before but it still not working for me.

Your help is so much appreciated.

Cheers,

Clara

Problem with append.PNG

Data82
Regular Visitor

Hi kconner, 

I agree with you and am having the same problem.  I can't find anywhere else that anyone else is experiencing the problem.

This is what I have figured out so far.

One of my tables has a column of "Availability" and the other is "availability" 

Even though I have read that Power BI is case insensitive, when I append it actually creates 2 columns; one with "Availability" one with "availability".

Then when I click "close and apply" it's like it realises that it IS case insensitive and errors out because the columns shouldn't be separate.

No idea if this is helpful...but at least you're not alone!

Data82
Regular Visitor

Hi kconner,

I agree with you and am having the same problem.  I can't find anywhere else that anyone else is experiencing the problem.

This is what I have figured out so far.

One of my tables has a column of "Availability" and the other is "availability" 

Even though I have read that Power BI is case insensitive, when I append it actually creates 2 columns; one with "Availability" one with "availability".

Then when I click "close and apply" it's like it realises that it IS case insensitive and errors out because the columns shouldn't be separate.

No idea if this is helpful...but at least you're not alone!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kconner,

In your scenario, it seems that you are selecting the column 'availability', then click "Append Queries" button, and choose table Mail&Calendar to append, right?

Based on my test, though two tables contain the same column names, they can be appended and apply to the report. In your scenario, please select other columns instead of 'availability' then append the query to see if the issue persists.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.