Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

pbi seems to be using raw data rather than filtered to determine one to many etc

Hi, we might have 2 records with the same item # on a master table.  And 2 queries on the same table each filtered on a type code that would ensure the queries are exclusive.  but when i saw how pbi was making its realtionship validity decisions, it appeared to me it was ignoring the filters.  do i have to make views for this kind of thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db042190 ,

Through my testing, when you filter the data in [data view] , power bi still creates the relationship automatically according to the underlying data and you can edit the relationship manually. If you clean and filter the data in power query and then apply it to desktop, then the relationships will be created automatically from the cleaned data. This is by design.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Bi-directional relationship guidance - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @db042190 ,

Through my testing, when you filter the data in [data view] , power bi still creates the relationship automatically according to the underlying data and you can edit the relationship manually. If you clean and filter the data in power query and then apply it to desktop, then the relationships will be created automatically from the cleaned data. This is by design.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Bi-directional relationship guidance - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.