Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmahachi2
Regular Visitor

need a dynamic column to display different values based on filter from an unrelated table

sample pbix 

I have a request to show certain department values when the year 2022 is selected but a different set of department names when earlier years are selected. I know that switch and treatas can do this for measures but i need a column (i'm pretty sure) because I use these values as the rows in a matrix visual. 

I've tried various versions of switch and treatas is being used in the vlaues measures successfully but I can't get the actual department names to response to the date (year) selected in the slicer. I've uploaded an example pbix that is a simplified version of the model i'm working with. 

So when the year is set to 2021 I want to see the dept name in the 'department' column when the year is 2022 I want to see the dept names in the 'new dept list' column. 

I am trying to keep the department table with a distinct list of values b/c it serves as a dimensoin table to filter several tables in the model. I sure there's several ways to do this but I haven't been able to get it working and I would like to find the most efficient way and following best practices. 

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmahachi2 

Do you mean you want to create a dynamic column by the value selected in the slicer? i.e. when you select year=2021, then a column named 'department' will be created, then if you select year=2022, a column named 'new dept list' will be created.

If so, I am afraid that cannot be achievable, just as amaniramahi said. But you can use visual-level filter to limit values.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

What if more than one year is selected? What set of names do you use?

they have to select only a single year

amaniramahi
Helper V
Helper V

I believe that calculated columns cannot be dynamic , I tried this before but nothing worked.

I believe this can be solved either with measures or work around. 

Elaborate please

was afraid of that

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.