Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Norbertus
Helper V
Helper V

lookupvalue

I need a function to lookup a value from an another table. In this function i need to search for a part of string and give back a second column. At this moment i made a calculated column with all the different options, but the list is growing.

group =

if(SEARCH("*bike*",table[column],,0);"supllier x",

if(SEARCH("*car*",table[colum],,0),"supplier y", 

"unknown"))

something like this:

table 1:

bike     supllier x
car      supllier y

table 2
bike_123  ===>> result supllier x

2 REPLIES 2
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Maybe you're looking for the LOOKUPVALUE function https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492170.aspx.

You might need either 1) to create a column in table 2 that has the same terms as table 1 (ie bike, car, etc) so that you can do the match or 2) write an expression that returns the string you want to search for - you're close but replace the output with the argument you're searching for ...

group =
if(SEARCH("*bike*",table[column],,0);"bike",
if(SEARCH("*car*",table[colum],,0),"car", 
"unknown"))
Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

The lookupvalue has a part "search_columnName". This can't be an expression. I need a function that can search for * or % in the value

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.