Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to display a Text column all values in a Matrix Visual?

Hi All,

I have a table as shown below. Period column contains Data as Mid-year, End-Year for all years.  I want to display Category as a Row, Period as a Column and NetIMPact and WC Impact as values of each row.

When i am trying to do this using Matrix visual, only First value of the column(Net Impact/WC Impact)- are displaying as these are Text columns.

When I use ID column also, in the matrix visual, then i am able to see all the values? But, here Period information is not displaying side by side.

User want to compare last two periods information side by side.

How can I overcome this issue.

IDPeriodCategoryNET ImpactWC Impact
1FY17-MidYearFinancial C5B4
2FY17-EndYearSupportC4B4
3FY17-MidYearCategory 2D5D4
4FY17-EndYearCategory 4A4A5
4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

When you drag text column to value field in Matrix, they will auto switch to summary mode(last, first, count).You may create an index column to provide the uniqueness of rows. Please refer to the work around in this post . You may turn on the 'Show on rows' to compare last two periods information side by side.

1.png

Regards,
Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherie,

Many thanks for your help here. 

Here as mentioned, using Index column we can display all the values in Matrix visual. But using Index, we cannot display values side by side as Index value is unique for each row for the year. Due to column Headers are displaying side by side but using this user cannot compare values as it's displaying unique values. First all the rows displaying for year 2017 then after completing all 2017 records, then 2018 records are displaying.

We have a requirement to compare text column ( risk Matrix values ) year by year. I am unable to compare using Table visual, Matrix visual.

Please suggest if any alternative solution or best visual do this.

Thanks,

Srinivas

Hi @Anonymous

I'm afraid i cannot fully understand 'display values side by side'.Could you give an example about your expected output with your sample data?Please check if the work around in this post could help you.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherie,

I am Sorry for the delay in response.  As Shown below table we have a column Period and it contains all MidYear and EndYear information. NET, WC column are risk ratings for that period.

.Sample DAta TableSample DAta Table

As shown here, If I use Index Column  first 2017 one Period informtion displayed then next row onwords next period rows displayed. Expected result is Row 1402, 449 should display side by side then rating can be compare for the respective period.

Sample Power BI Matrix visualSample Power BI Matrix visual

Hope this will help to understand the issue.

Thanks,

Srinivas S

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.