Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

22LACMT
Helper III
Helper III

how do I apply my custom sort to my visualization

I have created a new table and made a sort column to assign the data a custom sort.   however, the data on my visualization is not showing the results from the new data arrangement.  what am I missing? 

@KNP 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
FataiSanni
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

After creating the sort table , follow this step

• Add a sort column to the Sort Table
  • On your sort table, use the custom sort feature to sort your dimensions by the sort column
  • In your report visuals, use the dimensions in your sort table and not the fields in your fact table.

I believe that should help.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

All your relationships are many to many and bi-directional. This is NOT a good idea.

They should all be one to many and not bi-directional.

I question the purpose of the 'buckets' tables. 

Which is the 'main' table in this diagram where all the data is sourced from?

Is there anyway you could share some sample data that covers all of these scenarios? (pasted as data)

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
FataiSanni
Helper I
Helper I

Sure, I forgot to add you need to create a relationship between the two tables for this to work.

KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @22LACMT,

Thanks for starting a new thread.

Need some more detail.

• A screenshot of your data model.
  • A screenshot of your current visuals, showing what is wrong.
  • A screenshot or description of your expected result.
  • Pasted sample data (as data, not a screenshot) would also be helpful.

Should be simple to solve, just not enough info at the moment.

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

22LACMT_0-1671646565886.png

22LACMT_1-1671648884627.png

ive created the dem tables off of my fact table and sorted on the recategorizing column using the below.  then sorted but the data in table is not changing... Please please help im down to the wire and have spent 2 days trying to work this out. 

new column for sorting in dem table SortDSCR = switch(SortDSCR[DSCR_Bucket_trim]," <100x",1," 1.00x-1.25x",2," 1.25x-1.50x",3," 1.50x-2.00x",4," >2.00x",5,"Null",0)

All your relationships are many to many and bi-directional. This is NOT a good idea.

They should all be one to many and not bi-directional.

I question the purpose of the 'buckets' tables. 

Which is the 'main' table in this diagram where all the data is sourced from?

Is there anyway you could share some sample data that covers all of these scenarios? (pasted as data)

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Thank you for letting me know about the relationships.  I do agree that this is the problem with why my sorting is not working.   

However, when I select "one to many" and "single direction"  ..... I recieve the error:  "the cardinality you selected isnt valid for this relationship

The field you use to join on in the dimension tables should be unique in that table.

You will not be able to create the correct relationship if you have duplicate values in the dimension tables.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr
FataiSanni
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

After creating the sort table , follow this step

• Add a sort column to the Sort Table
  • On your sort table, use the custom sort feature to sort your dimensions by the sort column
  • In your report visuals, use the dimensions in your sort table and not the fields in your fact table.

I believe that should help.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

I followed all of the above. I am begining to think it is the relationships between my tables.  could that stop the flow of correct information? not sure as the new fields and tables are showing up . 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.