Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

help: new auto relationship

Hi. I have deleted / removed the automatic relationship in Power BI. Now I do not get the tables automatically assigned. I have close to 100 tables and the autoamtic assignment was great. I was only missing one column in the table. This I have re-added by a new import. in the process I deleted the auto relationship and wanted to restart it. The selection field is unfortunately grayed out and I can not select it. Also I can not by a new import that activate again. I have completely uninstalled Power BI myself including the %Appdata% files. Even if I reload the files from the server, I do not have the option to assign them automatically. Does anyone have a tip on how I can re-enable this?
In the settings, everything is activated as in the instructions.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hummingbird,

this is correkt. i want to re-enable the automatic relationship in Power BI.

I tried step 1 to 5 but this button is grayed out. Also i reset the the chache in "Data load" and restart Power BI, but it don´t work.  I load four new tables from the DB in the Power BI view. So i hope, i can use the automatic for the four, but also there, the button is grayed out.

Hi,

If the option to create a relationship is still grayed out, even after resetting the cache and restarting Power BI Desktop, you may need to take a few additional steps to resolve the issue:

1. Check if the tables have unique column names: The automatic relationship feature only works if the tables have unique column names. If the column names are not unique, you will need to change them or create a calculated column to differentiate them.

2. Make sure the tables have the same data type: The columns in the tables that you want to relate to each other must have the same data type. For example, if you have a column named "Date" in one table, and another column with the same name in another table, both columns must be of the data type "Date".

3. Check for hidden columns: Hidden columns can also prevent the automatic relationship feature from working. To check for hidden columns, go to the Fields tab, right-click on a column, and select "Unhide All Columns".

4. Try importing the data again: If all the above steps fail, you can try importing the data into Power BI Desktop again. This will create a new data model and should allow you to establish automatic relationships between the tables.

hummingbird
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

It sounds like you are trying to recreate the automatic relationships in Power BI after deleting them. To re-enable the automatic relationships, you can try the following steps:

1. Close and reopen Power BI Desktop.
  2. Go to the Fields tab and make sure that the tables have been loaded and are in the field list.
  3. Right-click on one of the columns in the table and select "Create relationships".
  4. In the Create Relationship dialog box, select "Automatic" as the relationship type. Power BI should automatically detect and create the relationships between the tables based on the columns with the same names.
  5. Repeat this process for each table that you need to establish a relationship with.

If the option to create a relationship is still grayed out, you can try resetting the Power BI Desktop data model. To do this, go to the Home tab, select "Options and Settings" and then "Options." In the Options dialog box, go to the "Data Load" section and select "Reset." This will reset the data model and clear any existing relationships. After this, you should be able to create new relationships.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.