Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

taylorlucy403
Regular Visitor

getting data from SAP BW Query that has been changed in SAP BW Backend.

Hello, 

I am an SAP BW Developer and new using PowerBI, but I must say, I'm very impressed.

Here is the following senario:

1) created an SAP BW Query via SAP's Query Designer

2) connected from PowerBI to the SAP BW Query and managed to create reports in PB; everything was fine.

3) Changes were made to the original SAP BW Query; new fields added....

The questions is; how do I reflect these new fields to the existing PB reports; that were linked to the original Query before the changes were made?

Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  🙂

Thank you,

Lucy Taylor

6 REPLIES 6
chotanas
Regular Visitor

Hi,  can you help me please, anyone know if I can see queries create in BW in Porwer BI , I have the connection in Power BI - BW but I can not see the Queries yet (just the cubes)..........( in the propierties of the Query , in  Extended/Advanced tab, I checked to let  Allow access to external OLEDB and I can not see it yet )

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@taylorlucy403 I believe this would be simple as going to Query Editor in power bi desktop, and then refreshing Query that is linked to your SAP BW. Refresh that you do via Query Editor also brings in metadata changes. Please let me know if that works as I've not used SAP BW in power bi before but I believe method of getting metadata changes in power bi is same for all data sources. 

Thank you Ankit, but I did try that, but it did not add any of the new fields that were added within the SAP BW backend environment. 

I can 'Get' data from SAP BW query (that has the new fields) and it does show all the new fields, but it is a new query in PowerBI at this point.  So worst case; I would have to recreate the reports that are currently attached to the old SAP BW Query view, using the newly retrieved Query.   But I was hoping not to have to go that route.  Just wondering if this is unique to SAP BW connected Queries?

Cheers,

Lucy

Can someone tell me how to access the "Cube Tools / Manage" section of the Edit Queries section?

I have been able to see this; and it allows me to "Add Items" from an SAP BEx Query to the same BEx query that had been previously loaded to PowerBI.

Cheers,

Lucy

Dear Lucy,

You can go to "edit query" menu; and click on the "added items".

You can see here in the following screen shot:

http://imgur.com/a/mlyeI

You can add new items to PowerBI this way. 

But the problem is, when you change the Bex query; (you add a new characteristic); PowerBI doesn't update the definition of the query 😞

Dear Lucy,

You can go to "edit query" menu; and click on the "added items".

You can see here in the following screen shot:

http://imgur.com/a/mlyeI

You can add new items to PowerBI this way. 

But the problem is, when you change the Bex query; (you add a new characteristic); PowerBI doesn't update the definition of the query 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.