Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

fundtemp
Regular Visitor

embedding a responsive image

Hello,

I wish to publish a range of highly formatted excel tables on a webpage which need to respond to weekly updates in Excel.  I have successfully pinned the image to Power BI but how do I publish this so it reponds to the weekly updates in Excel? Will creating a 'tile' mean it can be made responsive - it appears not. I am unsure whether I need use a Report or Tile or as collate the responsive tables as a Dashboard.

I have successfully embedded a responsive data table which responds to the update in Excel (although slow) but Power BI cannot achive the formatting required - hence pinning an image from within Excel.  

Any quidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@fundtemp

I’m a little confused about the image. What’s your image include? If you want the image to be in your dashboard and refresh weekly, you can first upload the image to some sites and show the image in Power BI using image web link with Image Viewer visual. When you want to update the dashboard image, just change the image web link to another one.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks for your help.

Given the large number of tables I was wanting to avoid the manually updatING url on the individual Web page. It is a shame to have Power BI capture the excel table images updating so automatically from excel to Power bi to then need a piecemeal manual update.

The tables contain percentile rank formulae and complex formating beyond that possible in power bi.
Image capture's do look great and a good workaround. I need to be able to publish dashboards.

Tableau may be the answer.

Thanks
Andrew

@fundtemp

May I know how did you capture the images from excel for those large number of tables, and where did you store the images?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi

Yes I captured the images using the 'pin' feature of the Power BI excel addin. These were stored in my Power BI desktop. However, that is as far as I got. My earlier problem remains. I still cannot publish this image. I can only add to a dashboard as a tile there is no way of publishing a dashboard. I can publish a report but cannot add the image to a report.

The only resolution is to quit the image pin approach and build a responsive table. This fails to provide the formatting and data analytics etc as mentioned on my earlier post.

Answer- build in Tableau. These provide the essential data analysis within the Tableau worksheets and allow responsive embedded url to external websites.

So, excel held dataset --> datalinked to Tableat dataset --> analytical features and formatting within worksheets. These tables and responsive visualisations both added to a dashboard individually are published to an external webpage keeping active links to the original dataset I Excel. Just two key presses, refresh datalink and republish.

I think my needs requires this more content management function. Key finding is the tables have very many excel features and can be directly published. Also the web content can be modified using both Tableau tools and conventional ccs (customise logos, Web page option to interact with filters, sort, download data, copy as pdf, email, or restrict all to just a inert fixed image.

Power BI appears far more cable at meeting requirements of inter-organisational comms.

Thanks.
Andrew

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.