Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

desktop.ini file

Good morning!

I seem to be having a new type problem in the power query refresh process - as I get an error indicating "Microsof ACE.OLEDB 12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine.   The 64 bit version of the Access Database engine 20110 Acces Database Endine OLEDB may be required to read desktop.ini.

Then as I debug and step thru queries, using Folder.Files() source function - I see reference to the desktop.ini file within the list of potential files.   Seems if I filter those out, the error goes away (at least on that query).  

Is anybody else experiencing this issue - and is there a easy solution, other than stepping thru each and every query (within multiple pbix files).   Yes, I wished I had utilized a function when I was first learning and establishing these queries...

I have tried a new computer - same problem, and 2) on a smaller/simpler pbix file, the refresh process works as expected - so I don't think it is a computer issue.   

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello - no, I went back to a differing pbix file (with completely different data sources, but still excel) and it worked fine.  That indicates it's not a computer/compatibility issue?

As I have researched, the desktop.ini file is a windows (hidden file) within each folder.   I have no idea, why this problem just popped up.   But, I have gone thru and within all import related queries, filtered out this file name, and all is well....

thanks for your suggestions!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81 ,

According to your error message, it seems like this issue more related to access database engines. Maybe you can take a look at following link about issues about use access database on power bi desktop:

Resolve issues importing Access and .XLS files in Power BI Desktop 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you for your response and link.   Yes, I have gone down the trail as suggested in the link - but did not resolve the problem.

I have been able to "move on", as I went thru each of my import queries and filtered out any reference to teh desktop.ini file.   But, this does not solve the problem on other pbix files, if this issue was to rise again.   This is a new issue - and not sure what caused it to pop up.   I've been using this pbix file for 6+ months now...

thanks again!

HI @Dellis81 ,

So you mean your pbix file works on old version power bi desktop? What version of power bi desktop are you test? Can you please share some more detail information to help us clarify you scenario?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

In addition, if your software environment does not change on your device and it failed when you update power bi desktop. This issue may be related to the compatitily between power bi desktop and the data connector driver.
You can try to submit a support ticket for further support. (it is free for pro and above licenses)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello - no, I went back to a differing pbix file (with completely different data sources, but still excel) and it worked fine.  That indicates it's not a computer/compatibility issue?

As I have researched, the desktop.ini file is a windows (hidden file) within each folder.   I have no idea, why this problem just popped up.   But, I have gone thru and within all import related queries, filtered out this file name, and all is well....

thanks for your suggestions!

I am having the same issue with excel power query.  But I can't seem to filter it out before it's done it's damage 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.