Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

small_bird

data access rights

Dear all,

we are just starting to use Power BI for our needs, so the question can seem rediculars, but still I need to find the answer.

We connect our Power BI to our Dynemics CRM and get the data. Our users have diffecent access ights, so  the see different sets of data, (e.g. managers from one department can't see opportunities beloning to another dep).

Sj, the quetion is if we create Power BI dashboard and share it with our managers, what will they see? All the information? If there a chance that we can separate data access withing one and the same dahboard.

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

Quick question for clarification.  Are the managers and users that have Data restrictions creating the reports and using PowerBI desktop, or would a "Developer" type person creating the reporitng, publishing it to App.PowerBI.com and then using a scheduled refresh to keep the data current?

I ask because if the Managers and Users are writing the reports, they will likely only beable to use what they have access to, becuase the connection string will have their credentials in it.  

If there is a developer is creating the report, and the users are accessing it on App.powerbi.com, or from with CRM, then they will see everything in the report.  This is becuase the report will be built and refreshed on a different set of credentials.  As of now, as far as I know, PowerBI can not restrict data access from app.powerbi.com based on user credentials....  yet.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Hi!

Thanks for your answer.

Yes you are right, we wanted to create one Power BI and then publish it for al the managers. Now I understand that, we won't be able to do that.

So we will try to get a  kind of a solution to separate access. I think desctop version can help, so we will try 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.