Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

connect PowerBI to Azure SQL using Azure AD authentication.

Hi,

We have created Azure SQL database and added AD group which allows us to connect using Azure AD authentication using SSMS.

When we tried to connect from PowerBI desktop to same database using Windows authentication, it fails.

Do you know how to connect PowerBI to Azure SQL using Azure AD authentication.

8 REPLIES 8
AryehB

same issue here in a fresh install of Powerbi desktop on January 24, 2023, will this be addressed?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

When you connect to Azure SQL database, please choose Microsoft account option to sign in with your Azure Active Directory account. See: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-january-2018-feature-summary/#AADauth

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or ignore my previous comment, here are the steps we are following:

Added AD users (for example xyz@abc.com) to the database.
Added firewall to network (breakout IP).
Installed SSMS on computer and connect to database using Azure Active Directory Authentication (AAD Authentication).
Successfully connect.
Then installed PowerBI Desktop on same pc.
Tried to connect to same database using PowerBI without SQL authentication (username/password), but failed.

The authentication we have is Windows and Database and we are using Windows authentication. Please let me know if we are doing something wrong.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for the response, But here I have created Azure SQL database and added AD group which allows us to connect using Azure AD authentication using SSMS.

Now i would like to know if its possible now on how to connect PowerBI to Azure SQL using Azure AD authentication.

Thanks,
Ankit

Hi @Anonymous,

As you can see from the blog shared in my previous post, it's able to use AAD accounts to authenticate Azure SQL database. Please update your Power BI desktop to the latest version then test again with Microsoft Account option. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How do I sign in with a Microsoft Account to authenticate with Azure AD?  I'm using Desktop Version: 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April 2018) and when I select Home->Get Data->More->Azure->Azure SQL Database, I only get the ability to enter the Server Name and Database(optional). This of course fails.

I'm having a similar issue. I'm using the March 2019 version of Power BI desktop. I'm able to authenticate to the Azure SQL database using my Windows credentials in Excel. When I try to use the "Microsoft Account" option to sign in from Power BI Desktop, I get the error "we couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided" when I click Connect.

We are using Multi Factor Authentication with our Azure Active Directory. When I click the "sign in" button in the Power BI Microsoft Account page, it takes me through the two-factor auth process and displays that I am signed in. However I still get an error when I click the Connect button.

I'm having the same issue and can't find a resolution. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.